Bath Tub Bedding: Mortar Or Foam Or...? (after Tub In Place/installed) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 160
Question

Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)

Hi Guys,

I have Mirolin Adora acrylic / fiberglass tub just installed. The tub is structured and according to manufacturers manual doesn't require mortar bedding. I shimmed / leveled it / everything was solid during tests until I actually started to use it. There is some squeaking noise in the center of the tub (which is supported by built-in tub structure). So I guess I will need to add support after all.

I used the tub few times and since I'm still renovating other rooms, I have access to the bottom of the tub from an adjacent bedroom (can remove drywall and have full access)

What are your suggestions?
  1. Apply structural foam? Something like 5 lb high-density foam from Multitech?
  2. Apply mortar / mortar mix? (I should be able to squeeze/push enough in the center of the tub to provide support)
  3. Apply something like Structo-Lite to save on weight?

Any other ideas?

BTW .. my subfloor is very solid: 1/2" PLY with added 5/8"T&G PLY

(photo of the tub / not actual photo of the bath / I have access from the bedroom behind the wall)
Attached Thumbnails
Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-adora-scene_new.jpg  

Last edited by misuszatek; 03-11-2019 at 10:03 AM.
misuszatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,252

Re: Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)

If all are approved, all will work. You will probably have an easier go with the foam and they are raising concrete slabs with that stuff so it certainly can take the weight.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Thank you for reply,

Foam would be my first choice but found out that shipping from Cali to Canada will take too long / overnight requires hazard Material fees = too expensive. (b/c of time I might have to go with remaining options). If you would choose between mortar or Structo-Lite, what would you pick?

BTW, I found a few photos of the bottom of the tub I took during install.
I still have that access to apply mortar/foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_3266.jpg   Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_3273.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #4

Are you sure it isn't the front skirt of the tub that is squeaking or the wood blocks you have under the feet?
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul100 View Post
Are you sure it isn't the front skirt of the tub that is squeaking or the wood blocks you have under the feet?
Yes I'm sure. Front skirt and all-around mounting are rock solid. Wooden blocks are touching the ground / are shimmed. There is not much flexing especially that this is acrylic with fiberglass, but you can definitely feel that some sort of additional support is needed.

My plan is to fill the tub with water, use QuickSet Mortar Mix = mix it in small amounts in mortar pan and push it under the tub from the bedroom wall / behind the tub. I want to make a T bar from 2 pieces of lumber for pushing and use contractor bags on the floor to prevent mortar from sticking to PLY.

Not sure if this is the easiest method but I don't have access to a structural foam. I wonder if I could use contractors bags and fill it with mortar / push it in while they are under the tub? Great for non-stickiness but I'm concerned about drying time in this scenario.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 308

Use the slow expanding foam for windows and doors.

Make sure the Tub is full of water or even something heavier.

Spray the slow expanding foam under the tub, it will bond the tub to the floor as it dries.

Keep the tub full until it is all set.

You can foam around the rest of the tub with the slow expanding or the quick expanding stuff as long as the slow stuff has set.

Better than concrete as it will insulate the tub to keep the water warm for longer.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #7

Ok this is what I did / hopefully, this will help others in the future

I avoided foam as the only structural foam for this job needs at least 5lbs density rating (not available in my stores). Great Stuff is not great for structural / call them - they will confirm.

So I picked RapidSet Mortar Mix as it dries fast and its rock solid.
- I opened the wall from the other side (luckily I'm renovating whole house = access)
- Filled the tub with water
- built the T-bar / pushing tool out of 2x4 and piece of ply (height matching bottom tun opening)
- wrapped the tool with poly to avoid mortar sticking on reverse
- mixed mortar dry / not too dry / it needs to move up when squeezed under the tub

That it. It takes more mortar than I anticipated/bought 2 55lbs bags but needed actually 4 of them. Now the tub is rock solid / no squeaking/noise...just perfect.

Mortar dries very fast (you can stand on it after 1 hr / solidifies in 10-15 min) so mix in relatively small batches.
One more thing.. I wanted to separate mortar with poly / tried even push the mortar into construction bags placed under the tub. Unfortunately, it blocks the view and I would rather see if mortar goes all the way up to the bottom of the tub than have separation. It will be B#+$ch to remove it one day but this was the only reliable way I guess
Attached Thumbnails
Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_4052.jpg   Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_4053.jpg   Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_4055.jpg   Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_4062.jpg   Bath tub bedding: mortar or foam or...? (after tub in place/installed)-img_4066.jpg  

Last edited by misuszatek; 03-18-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 308

I am just concerned that you now have a big heat sink that will suck the heat out of the water with all the mortar.

Good luck and let us know how it works.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement