Bath Tile Issues - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Bath Tile Issues

I hired a contractor to redo my bathroom. I've noticed a couple potential quality issues, and wanted to see if I should be concerned.

First, the tub surround tile isn't plumb. It appears to be angled slightly as you look from the floor to ceiling. It's hard to describe, so I will share two pictures.

1) Notice the distance from the drywall to the tile (marked in back)

2) Notice how there is much more distance at the top of the wall (black mark is from first picture).

Is this something I should be worried about? Note - the contractor installed the drywall backer board, so that should be plumb.

Secondly, the shower niche shows the edge of the tile in a rather unattractive way. I would have preferred he cut the non-niche tiles (tiles surrounding niche) a 1/4 larger so that the face of the tile was seen around the edge of the niche instead of the cut portion of the tile. Is it common practice to tile a niche like my contractor did?

18burningtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 388

Re: Bath Tile Issues

have you asked your contractor what their plans are for all this? based on your tiles and it looks like your overall design, I would have gone with some type of metal product. schulter's product for example...http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/...r-Walls/c/P-FW As you can tell, these should be installed with the tiles, not sure if there is solution for after-the-fact..

You can also purchase some type of edge tile for problem #1. usually about 2-3" in width, edge is finished, you'll have to check with whomever made your tile or go with something for "contrast." or skim your drywall if you don't mind the edge of the tile look.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

Re: Bath Tile Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1acre View Post
You can also purchase some type of edge tile for problem #1. usually about 2-3" in width, edge is finished, you'll have to check with whomever made your tile or go with something for "contrast." or skim your drywall if you don't mind the edge of the tile look.
Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm hopefully going to talk to my contractor soon. I'm having trouble getting ahold of him now...the phone system says it can't connect my calls. Luckily, he returned a recent text. So his text's seem to work.

For problem 1, I understand there are "curved" tiles. I believe they are called bullnose. But, my question was actually about the change in gap between drywall and tile. Near the bottom of the wall that gap is small, but up top it is much larger. This leads me to believe the tile is not installed correctly. Is this something I should be worried about?
18burningtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement