Bath Remodel/sewer Gas - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bath remodel/sewer gas

After installing a new bathtub and ceramic tile....we now have the wonderful smell of sewer gas....3 weeks now and 5 new toilet seals and new plumbing for one of our pedestal sinks, several heated arguments between my husband and I , and 3 days of just not speaking to each other....the smell is still here! We did the peppermint test and it came thru from the back bottem of the toilet and the vent holes in sink....PLEASE HELP
chrissy5357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Change any of the plumbing?
How was it vented.
Is there a trap under the sink?
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

Where are you? Snow blocking roof vent? Septic backing up/blocked?
Are you sure it started right after doing the work you mentioned? Who did the work? You or a plumber? What exact work was done? What floor was it done on? Is there a roof vent? Old house, new house? Give us a clue....
Chewbacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I'm in Murfreesboro, Tn....No snow, yes I'm positive it started a few days maybe a week after installing tub and right after new tile was put down and then toilet reset.,the vent goes into the attic, every thing in bath, tub, toilet, 2 pedestal sinks all are vented from this one vent, we had no problems before....house is abt 20 years old....yes both sinks have traps.....my husband is doing the work, we ddid tile in the other bathroom last year & no problem there....he is a mechanical engineer at Nissan, and normally can fix anything....
chrissy5357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

OK. So what about getting a plumber to consult with you and your hubby?
Living with sewer gasses in the house is dangerous and smells yuck!
Is it possible a pipe got cut or not reconnected? Did you take pics of the new install each step of the way? Maybe the one vent can't handle the entire job with all the new/rework. It seems like a pro would be able to tell you that. You won't fix it by wishing it away- something will have to be undone to rework or add what is necessary to fix it.
Why fight over it? Bring in a pro to help you solve the problem- even if you do the work at the end of the consult. Seems like you're not getting anywhere with the problem right now, so ease up on yourselves and seek the necessary help. It's worth it from the standpoint of strength of your marriage, yes?
The problem isn't going to fix itself or get better with age, so you can continue being frustrated by it or bite the bullet and suck up DIYer pride and fix it sooner than later.
That's what I'd do then you can enjoy your renovated bath.

Last edited by Chewbacka; 03-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Chewbacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement