Bath Remodel Noob - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
socially awkward

Rewards Points: 20

Bath remodel noob

Well, I suppose I'll just start a general bathroom remodel thread, rather than ask multiple questions in different spots about the same room. I know, I'm cool.

Anywho.

Our upstairs bathroom, we pretty much don't even use it. There is hardly any subfloor, the shower not only is missing a door, but when you step in it, you feel as if its going to go through the floor and into the dining room downstairs. The sink, sprays more than anyone bargains for, and you leave with wet pants after washing your hands. Not to mention, there is a slight, yet seemingly growing water spot on the ceiling directly under the bathroom. Its a very cramped bathroom, so we don't have much choice but to get rid of the closet in there. Here is the list of plans we've got so far.

*Remove closet and relocate sink/vanity to "old closet area"
*Replace shower with bigger, more up to date shower
*Fix any sort of plumbing issues, and subfloor issue
*Lay tile floor
*Patch holes in wall/paint
*Move light switch to inside bathroom (its currently outside--very weird)
*Install Vent fan.

I'll have a better picture of what I'm working with hopefully up before work in the morning. The biggest headache as far as placing anything is the radiator. Since we've got radiator heat, they're everywhere, and just in the right spot to be a PIT.

Currently, with everything else going on, we're looking to just get the plumbing moved, and the floor done. We'll take the old sink and shower out, and prep the new back wall for the new shower..so that all we have to do is slide the shower in, and hook it up, then install the sink/vanity, and were on to the little things like decorating and all that.

Again, any and all advice/feedback is appreciated.
brotherGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Post a picture if you can---how old is the house?

How old is the plumbing?
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
socially awkward

No idea on how old the house actually is. The local courthouse burned down around 1900, so all records were lost. Anything built before then now just says 1900. Im sure I can find something in the historical society, or maybe the library, but I haven't taken the time to really research it out. As far as the plumbing goes, Im going to guess pretty old..lol. I've talked to one of the plumbing guys at the local hardware store, and he suggested just using PEX pipe for a good bit of it, especially since I'll be moving the sink, and the shower essentially. It is a small bathroom though, IIRC it was about 6x9, and the closet was around 2x3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
socially awkward

Here are some pics. Excuse the mess, we don't really use it except for the toilet and storage..lol. We already started taking the old medicine cabinet out, and just tacked some spare drywall up for the time being.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

Radiators aren't hard to move, and if you're pulling up the floor it will be even easier.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
socially awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp13 View Post
Radiators aren't hard to move, and if you're pulling up the floor it will be even easier.
Really? Well, where would I need to put it for optimal space? What would all be involved in moving it?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherGood View Post
Really? Well, where would I need to put it for optimal space? What would all be involved in moving it?
Put it wherever you want to put it. Or go to a salvage place and find one that fits a little better for your space, maybe longer and lower instead of tall and skinny.

You drain some of the water from your system so that the radiator is empty, then cut the lines, move, re-attach the lines, refill. Even empty those things are pretty heavy, so be prepared for that.

It's a very simple system, an input, an output and an air valve.

If it was me, I'd find a long low one, and put it against the wall opposite the sink with a bench over it - then you have a warm place to sit when you're drying off after a shower. I found a corner radiator that we put behind our tub, our towels are toasty warm after a shower.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
socially awkward

I think after pondering the idea, I may either just leave it, or slide it over a bit toward the wall across from the toilet. That one is so skinny, Im not gonna bother pulling it out, and replacing it with a bigger one. But again, I may not even move it at all...less chance for a mistake.

We're thinking about going and getting everything we need for the plumbing change, and the floors this weekend. So, my question is, what do I need to not only move the sink across the room essentially, but also the drain, and the drain/lines for the shower will need to be moved. The lines I plan on using PEX pipe/hose/whatever it is..per the plumbing guy at the hardware store. But, how do I move drains, and what all do I need for the floors? There is practically no subfloor, so I'll be replacing it all..ending with tile on top.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

You have a challenge ahead of you---

When the floor is opened up--that is when you will determine how the plumbing will be moved---and what layout is possible--

Moving a toilet opening is the most difficult,due to the size of the pipe--

Come back with pictures once the floor is open.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
socially awkward

The toilet is the only thing staying. The shower will be a bit longer, and the sink will be across the room.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

That shouldn't be to bad------------the plumbing is old--so you will need some advice when the walls and floor are open---

I'm a firm believer in replacing as much of the old piping and drains as can be done----is there an attic above that room?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
socially awkward

Yeah, theres an attic. The guy at the hardware store is friends with dad, so maybe I can get him to point some stuff out and look at it when everything is open.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Retired Moderator

There are some good plumbers here---but getting someone to see your project is always a good idea---
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,452

Radiator - I'd leave it where it is. Heating water flow is important, and if you add bends, you may end up with less than working radiator. Thin wall radiator, such as towel warmer, is good but expensive. I'd move it out for doing the floor, but make sure piping has the slack for different floor heights. If changed, you should use a hand truck. It also can be broken or broken into sections.

Closet - I'd just keep it as closet. I don't see what room you can gain. Room next to it may have a chimney, utility chase, bedroom closet (which you must keep to keep the bedroom), etc, that you may not want to lose.

Outside switch makes sense.

Moving plumbing - may be more trouble than you imagine. As said by others, removing the subfloor is only way to know for sure, but your bathroom size doesn't allow for the sink across the room, unless you thread your way to the toilet, or walk into the sink.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
socially awkward

The sink would be going where the closet is now. We're really just knocking the framing out, so the room has a slight L to it essentially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement