Bath Alcove - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Bath alcove

I'm building a bath alcove for a new tub along a wall that is adjoing another house. This wall has been somewhat sound proofed by the builder using 1/2 or more plywood over the studs then 5/8 drywall over the plywood. This alcove will be tiled above tub up to about 8'. I am planning on using a vapor barrier attached to studs then 1/2 hardi over that tiled with subway tiles up to the 8' mark.

My question is wether there will be an issue with attaching the 1/2 hardi backer board directly to the plywood. I'm sure I'll loose some sound deadening but thats not too much of an issue. I'm not planning on using thinset on the plywood just attaching vapor barrier then backer board.

does anyone see an issue with this?
jiarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Do you have a picture?

Tub is typically attached directly to the studs---you are saying that the back wall is drywalled BEFORE the tub was installed?

I would skip the plastic vapor barrier and water proof the face of the backer board, using Red Guard or Hydroban---
jiarchibald (08-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Don't have pics.

The room was drywalled previously but unfinished. I am removing the drywall on all three sides and reframing the alcove on two sides to so that the studs will be at 60'' apart for the tub that I ordered. the back side of the tub will have the dry wall removed up to 8' since that will be the height of the "alcove" that I am framing and I'm planng on using the 1/2 hardi plank on all three sides of the alcove. The hardi plank will be fitted over the tub flange which means I'll have to use trim boards so minimize bowing of the hardi plank. hopefully that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Hardi BOARD--I hope--not PLANK---

I prefer Durrock--but the choice is up to you--however, they are both installed the same--stopped above the flange---not over it

The resulting gap is filled with thinset---
Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Hardi BOARD--I hope--not PLANK---

I prefer Durrock--but the choice is up to you--however, they are both installed the same--stopped above the flange---not over it

The resulting gap is filled with thinset---
Yeah the Board not plank or Durrock I haven't decided yet. but you see no problem with attaching it directly to the plywood. I wouldn't think there would be an issue.
Also you suggested using a paint on water proofing.

So would I attach hardi/durrock to studs and drywall as specified by manufacturer. Not over flange!! tape, thinset then paint on use water proofing. Then thinset for tiling. Tile the walls with my subway tiles then use a waterproof grout. Bam Bam done!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

That is it, in a nut shell---
Advertisement

Tags
hardi backer , plywood wall