Basement Shower - Concrete Walls - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138

Basement Shower - Concrete Walls

I have a basement shower that has concrete floor, 2 walls that are concrete and one that is framed. The previous tiled shower was done with no leak protection whatsoever...only thinset and tile over the walls and floor. I removed all tiles. I tried to grind flat but no way. The floor and walls are uneven from previous thinset.

I am considering RedGard-ing Concrete Walls, Framed Wall (after putting new concrete board on it) and the Concrete Floor. But I need to prep first. I need to know what materials to get in order to prep the Concrete Walls and the Concrete Floor so that my substrate in flat/plumb/etc and will then accept redGard and then tile.

(note: i have heard some folks suggest framing over concrete walls but there is no room for that. this has to be some sort of morter solution to true up the walls.)
bobmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

Re: Basement Shower - Concrete Walls

here are a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Shower - Concrete Walls-20170622_121532.jpg   Basement Shower - Concrete Walls-20170625_081008.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmane View Post
I removed all tiles.
gotta ask: why?

Quote:
I tried to grind flat but no way. The floor and walls are uneven from previous thinset.
Quote:
... I need to know what materials to get in order to prep the Concrete Walls and the Concrete Floor so that my substrate is...

Not a material. LABOR. Lots of it. And some masonry grinding tools.
And vacuums. And dust masks too.

Quote:
I am considering RedGard-ing
I recommend it highly when that time comes.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 11-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

Tile removal was a huge mistake that is correct.

I am not going to grind the walls flat need other solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement