Basement Bathroom Ceiling - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 PM  

Rewards Points: 2

Basement Bathroom Ceiling

Hello,

I just finished my basement, and have framed off a section of it for a bathroom, which will be finished later this year. I did not drywall the basement ceiling, and instead opted to leave the ceiling with exposed joists and paint it all black.

My question is regarding the bathroom. Becasue it is a bathroom, and will eventually have a shower, do i have to drywall the ceiling in the bathroom? Or is it possible to leave the ceiling exposed as in the rest of the basement? I would prefer to leave it open, but i don't know what problems, if any, this would cause.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 PM  

Rewards Points: 526

Re: Basement Bathroom Ceiling

-----------Welcome to the forums!--------------------

Yes, all the excess moisture will saturate the exposed wood and mold before your eyes. AND, it is against fire-code to leave exposed unless 2x10 or larger- solid wood joists for fire safety. IF they are I-joists, today's code requires 1/2" drywall on ceiling regardless if basement is finished or not--- burn time; TJI= 4-8 minutes, solid wood; 8-12 min.--- dbl. that with 1/2" drywall on ceiling, links if needed.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 02:36 PM  

Rewards Points: 528

I cannot speak for codes in your area, or the fire ratings, but we have a similar situation and have a suspended ceiling with waterproof tiles. I know they have all kinds of tiles available with different fire ratings and waterproof or rated for bathrooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 PM  

Rewards Points: 17,884

I'm with Gary on this one.
Needs an exhaust vent, light and 5/8 sheetrock.
Advertisement