Backsplash Nightmares (cabinet Related) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Toml
  • 1 Post By Toml

Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Backsplash nightmares (cabinet related)

I have a real ugly backsplash that I'd like to remove...

The backsplash has the look of stainless steel, but it's 3/4" plywood with a foil-like laminate on it. It's probably at least 15 years old. It's really nasty.

I was about remove this backsplash during a small remodel, but then it occurred to me there must be a reason for using this thick plywood instead of something thinner. I looked in the wall cabinets above and I can't find many screw heads for fasteners to keep the cabinets on the wall (I found 4 across the top of a 36 inch cabinet), so it's possible someone used this plywood as a support for the cabinets.

I know there might be fasteners I can't see, on the back of the cabinet, but how could I tell? I'd always assumed the cabinets were secured to the wall properly. I really don't want to get into removing wall cabinets.

My questions are:

1) is there a way to tell if the cabinets are secured to the wall correctly, without removing the cabinets? The wall is drywall, then a 1/2" spacer, then concrete block.
2) assuming I can't verify 1 - what are my options for removing this ugly backsplash but keeping support for the cabinets? I was hoping to have a tile backsplash and I want to avoid losing more counter space to a thicker backsplash; could I replace the plywood with 1/2" concrete backer and tile over it?
Toml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,328

Re: Backsplash nightmares (cabinet related)

Your upper cabinets would receive little if any support from the plywood on the wall below it. Sometimes cabinet screws can be hard to spot. You'll want a light and look under each shelf. The screws should be about 16" apart and in a straight line from top to bottom.

The odds are you have 3/4" thick furring strips between the drywall and the block.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Your upper cabinets would receive little if any support from the plywood on the wall below it. Sometimes cabinet screws can be hard to spot. You'll want a light and look under each shelf. The screws should be about 16" apart and in a straight line from top to bottom.

The odds are you have 3/4" thick furring strips between the drywall and the block.
I took another look. The only screws inside that cabinet are the four along the top, about 7-8 inches apart. There's also another 3 screws from the neighboring floor-to-ceiling cabinet into this one.

I have another larger cabinet, about 5 feet in length, with only 4 screws that I can see - two into the same wall as the first cabinet and 2 into a wall with steel studs. This larger cabinet has the same backsplash on one side and a 1/2 inch board between it and the counter on the other.

Removing these boards will be fun too - they appear to be screwed and glued to the drywall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #4

Well it didn't fall down

Taking it off wasn't so bad, I used a circular saw to cut up some pieces and a claw hammer to pry it off the wall.
SPS-1, Skoorb and Mike Milam like this.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toml View Post
Well it didn't fall down

Taking it off wasn't so bad, I used a circular saw to cut up some pieces and a claw hammer to pry it off the wall.
Nice. So that went better than when I removed my tile back splash recently (destroyed all the drywall, currently in the process of repairing it).

My cabinets, even the fairly large one that holds all the dishes, are held by few screws. In the case of that one the cabinet's weight plus all dishes are maintained only by four screws that sink in no more than about 1 1/4 into the stud behind.

I wanted to see pics of your nasty plywood backsplash
Skoorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoorb View Post
Nice. So that went better than when I removed my tile back splash recently (destroyed all the drywall, currently in the process of repairing it).

My cabinets, even the fairly large one that holds all the dishes, are held by few screws. In the case of that one the cabinet's weight plus all dishes are maintained only by four screws that sink in no more than about 1 1/4 into the stud behind.

I wanted to see pics of your nasty plywood backsplash
Lol, attaching pic... that's the ply, with nasty foil on it, after I went at it with a chisel trying to remove only the foil.
Attached Thumbnails
Backsplash nightmares (cabinet related)-20171203_184011-1-.jpg  
Skoorb likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,480

24 gauge stainless back splash. Is what you had.
https://www.commercemetals.com/stain...en-backsplash/
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement