Alternative To Laminate Counter Top? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 585

Alternative to laminate counter top?

I'm slowly starting to update my townhouse to get it ready to sell. Nothing too big. Paint, new 6 panel doors, adding trim to cabinets, new hardware. I want to update the counter top. Right now we have the typical laminate sheets over particle board. I'm not a huge fan of laminate but I realize it is cheap. I don't want to spend money on granite. I've looked into those companies that sell granite pieces and you put them together. The issue I have is my counter tops don't seem to be the normal depth.

The section with the sink is 26-1/8" deep. The section that is open to the dining room is 31-3/4". Plus that smaller counter top to the left seems like an odd size. This seems like it would be a big custom job which means I probably can't use those granite tiles. I probably could have a counter top company come in and do a custom solid surface like Corian but that will probably cost a good amount of money.

Is my only option to replace it with newer laminate sheets? I'd like not to but I think I'd rather do that than spend $2k or more on Corian or granite.

h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,009

Unless there are flaws, I can't see in the photo why are you wasting your money replacing to sell? How do you know what they buyers will prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

I does need some repair. You are right, I don't know what the buyer wants but updating a little will at the very least make it more desirable than other similar townhouses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,322

Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation), and just judging from the photo, I'd say you'd get the most bang for your buck by updating the tile floor.

And when it comes time to sell, definitely de-clutter the counters. All that stuff makes the kitchen look small and cramped.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Yes tile is on the list. I'm moving from room yo room doing some updating. Not at the kitchen yet but wanted to start researching.

I do think at the very least, new laminate will make the kitchen look better. No need to buy anything like granite. The laminate now is coming unglued and has some stains.

Yes, we are going to go through the entire house when we are ready to sell. Donate everything we don't want and put a lot in storage to make the place look like a model home.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,912

New tops are not going to do a thing to take away from those low end cabinets and that drop in sink.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,009

I need to yank Joe's chain a bit.

Not all of us are so infatuated with under the counter sinks. Some of us would rather have a sink a sink we can fill with dishes and water to soak overnight. Something I was told was not a good thing to do with the under the counter models.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 39

I agree that replacing the floor will make a huge difference. I just installed vinyl plank last year In my bathroom and it looks amazing. It's really easy to install and you can place it right over the old vinyl. No glue. Just snap together and score with razor blade to cut to length. The wife and kids haven't been able to scratch it so far and it's survived tons of bathtub spills and potty training (boy). I've been wrestling with the same countertop dilemma. My family isn't friendly to anything nice or expensive within our four walls so I don't trust them with a $4000 countertop. Tile or laminate are the cheaper options, but laminate is obviously the least work to install. The big box stores have some nice styles online that you can ship to store and return if you don't like the look in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to laminate counter top?-image-546110091.jpg  
randlefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 14

Since a granite budget is not an option I would replace it with new plastic laminate. There's no better value.

Have you taken a look at the new laminates? They look much much much better than they did just ten years ago and mimic stone very well. You can even get a bullnose edge detail like in the picture below.

AugustBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
New tops are not going to do a thing to take away from those low end cabinets and that drop in sink.
Cabinets will be getting a face lift. Sink will be staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I need to yank Joe's chain a bit.

Not all of us are so infatuated with under the counter sinks. Some of us would rather have a sink a sink we can fill with dishes and water to soak overnight. Something I was told was not a good thing to do with the under the counter models.
I do like the under the counter sink but I think Joe is making it into a bigger deal than it really is. Sure the cabinets are the cheapo stuff. With some trim the cabinet doors will look nice. A drop in sink is not a deal breaker for anyone buying a house. If someone is going to pass over a house because of a $300 sink, they have some issues lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by randlefactor View Post
I agree that replacing the floor will make a huge difference. I just installed vinyl plank last year In my bathroom and it looks amazing. It's really easy to install and you can place it right over the old vinyl. No glue. Just snap together and score with razor blade to cut to length. The wife and kids haven't been able to scratch it so far and it's survived tons of bathtub spills and potty training (boy). I've been wrestling with the same countertop dilemma. My family isn't friendly to anything nice or expensive within our four walls so I don't trust them with a $4000 countertop. Tile or laminate are the cheaper options, but laminate is obviously the least work to install. The big box stores have some nice styles online that you can ship to store and return if you don't like the look in person.
Floors will get done at some point. Not sure what I want to do yet. Most likely tile. It isn't that big of a space. Tile won't be too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBorn View Post
Since a granite budget is not an option I would replace it with new plastic laminate. There's no better value.

Have you taken a look at the new laminates? They look much much much better than they did just ten years ago and mimic stone very well. You can even get a bullnose edge detail like in the picture below.

Laminate has definitely come a long way. Still not a huge fan of it but I think replacing my current laminate with newer laminate will improve the look of the kitchen. I do think the bullnose edge makes it look a lot better.
The Following User Says Thank You to h22lude For This Useful Post:
BigJim (03-23-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #11
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 710

You can get butcher block counter-top at IKEA for about the same as laminate. An 8 footer is about $190. But, it's 25.5" deep. So you may have to do some gluing to make it wider.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement