Affordable Freestanding Tub Fill - Chinese? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

Affordable Freestanding Tub Fill - Chinese?

I just bought a solid stone freestanding tub as pictured (MTI Alissa, 71" x 37" x 22") off Craigslist. $800 from an interior designer. It was pulled out of a high-end remodel before the first soak, because the owner decided she needed jets. Since it retails for about $6500, it's an understatement to say this tub is out of my normal price league. It's intended to be the centerpiece of a total tear-out master bath remodel. I'm probably going to add a chandelier to make it a focal point (same source - $5000 new, for $500). Since this tub set up is a departure from the planned recycling of our surface-mount Jacuzzi tub, we're now headed $1500 over budget before passing go. But it should be worth every penny.

With that background in place, let me get to the point. We need a freestanding floor mounted tub filler. Not married to the idea of a hand shower too, but it seems to be the thing to do these days. The budget is already blown. $1000 and up is easy to throw at a name brand, much more getting into fancy designer series. Perusing eBay, I can only assume that the U.S.-shipped units that are $500-ish are probably Chinese. So I might as well go the source; ship from China set-ups are around $200 in many cases. The ones I'm looking at claim to be brass construction with a triple-plated finish (nickel is what we're leaning toward). They look nice.

Would this be a viable option for a cash-strapped remodel? At this point another $1000 or more will take away from something that's hard to change, like tile. If the "China Special" becomes advisable to replace in a couple of years, we could handle that. Am I na´ve to assume that it would be easy at that point to swap out for a name brand, or will I be looking at plumbing peculiarities?

I know all the arguments about long term parts availability and quality. But I have found some Chinese products to be pretty amazing, especially in a value context. I'm open for suggestions that either support my thought process or at least turn me in cost-savings direction compared to the mainstream retail, made in the USA. Of course I am scouring eBay and Craigslist for deals like the tub itself, but I'll have to pull the trigger before too long in order to lay everything out
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable Freestanding Tub Fill - Chinese?-mti-tub.jpg  
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 454

I'd say go for the cheap Chinese filler. If you are unhappy with it, you can always upgrade when your budget permits.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement