Advice On Updating Cabinets, Please :)! - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Advice on updating cabinets, please :)!

Hey guys! I need some general advice on updating my cabinets. Overall, I really like them and they're really good quality. However, I feel as if they're outdated and they don't really fit my style. They also have lots of scuffs. I've been slowly remodeling my home with my dad's help, and now I'm at the kitchen. The previous owners updated the old home, as well as had an addition added. For the most part, however, I didn't like a lot of the things they did, haha. The home has great bones, but lacked -umph-.

I was wanting to refinish the cabinets in a white. That's not the issue as I can do that fairly easily. The issue that I have is that I want to add some crown molding. The family room addition has cathedral ceilings, but they kept the kitchen height in the addition fairly similar to the original kitchen height. As they're close to the ceiling I just want to bring the moldings to the ceiling. However, to the left of the beam in the addition that cabinet's are 6.25 inches from the ceiling. To the right, the original kitchen space, there is a space of 7.5 inches. I have no clue what to do. If I just add in crown molding, will the the 1.25 inch difference be aesthetically unappealing :/? The the other thing that I was wanting to do was to fill the gaps between the cabinets with cubbies for wine or whatever else so that I can carry the moldings over to the beam for a more finish look. However, to the left there's a space of 5.25 to the left and 5.5 inches to the right. I have no problem accommodating these differences, but how will it look?

The other thing that I was wanting to do was add seafoam green subway tiles. Should I carry them up to the beam?

justinjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Advice on updating cabinets, please :)!

I was wanting to construct something similar tothis wine cubby from etsty. It measure's at 5 and 5/8 inches wide, so that seems like the most functional thing I can do with the space between the cabinets and the beam.

Sorry for the double post! It wasn't letting me post a link in the first post.
justinjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement