Advice On Bathroom Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 834

Advice on Bathroom Remodel

We have a 72 inch tub in our main washroom. House was built in 1972 so the tiled step that was used to step up into the tub had a bunch of broken/severed tiles, so we decided we'd fix it. The problem is, we don't exactly know what we're looking to do, yet.

The shower has never had a curtain or a shower door, so we never used it for the shower, we only took baths there (not to mention the showerhead was installed 4 feet off the wall for some reason). The lack of a door or curtain is probably what severed the tiles around the tub.

We started demo-ing and this is what's left. The tub is big, no doubt. But even if we downsize, we still wouldn't have a back support to put a shower door (since it would need something to be fastened to). We were thinking of making a cabinet for towels etc. in the left corner which would double as a support for a shower door.

What would you guys do? We're open to all suggestions. We demolished before thinking this through. We just don't wanna renovate the entire washroom because we just don't have the money for that. We're thinking the bidet will be removed also to add some leg room.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1206.jpg   Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1207.jpg   Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1218.jpg   Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1219.jpg   Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1220.jpg  

Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1221.jpg  

Last edited by Solidify; 06-18-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Solidify is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1222.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 454

If I am understanding you right. just frame a wall in back of the tub. leave it open and you could put some shelves in it or a built in. and you could not run the wall all the way to the ceiling and make the top of the wall a shelf
You could also go with a one piece shower or one that has the tub and wall panels separate, the one piece tub is what I would do,
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Ok and lets say i wanted to downsize to a normal 60" tub, would i just remove the old tub and put the new one or would i have to raise the floor under the new tub so the tile ill reinstall will be flush with the old tile?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

And also, i think because this is an older home the tiles were put down directly with concrete or something:

Advice on Bathroom Remodel-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1434660381.330670.jpgAdvice on Bathroom Remodel-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1434660400.650747.jpg
Advice on Bathroom Remodel-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1434660411.077458.jpg
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

In other words, theres no underlayment. Its just these thin planks (probably 3/4" x 7") nailed directly to the rafters. Then they just dropped concrete onto that (genereously so it would raise the level) and tiled directly onto that.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That old tile job is a mud bed---not well done---but a bed of 'deck mud' none the less--

You said that the budget is thin this week--so you will be doing a 'perfume the pig' job on the floor.

Build up layers of plywood topped with 1/4" cement board--what ever combination matches the height needed---then add your new tub---frame it with 2x4s and Durrock the walls.

Honestly, it will take some more time--but little more money, to demo the old floor --add plywood and backer and retile the entire floor---If you remove the bidet, you will have another patch in the old tile---

A few more details will help--Mike--
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

How was that mud bed supposed to have been done?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

Typically, tar paper over the subfloor ,then expanded steel mesh, then the mud--

You could try that--the old sub floor doesn't look very well done---big gaps---
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

Thats exactly how I found it when demoing.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

You could try your own mud bed---here is a link to shower pan building--it has a good description of deck mud---How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Mixing it to the damp beach sand stage is the key---it is remarkably stable when set--
Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #12

Advice on Bathroom Remodel

The more I keep thinking this project over, the more I start realizing that I should just hold off until I can afford to renovate the entire bathroom, to avoid a Frankenstein-looking end result.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solidify For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-22-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
The more I keep thinking this project over, the more I start realizing that I should just hold off until I can afford to renovate the entire bathroom, to avoid a Frankenstein-looking end result.
Sounds like the best, first off you need to decided on all your fixtures, tub,wall coverings etc.the floor should be one of the last things you do.and if your going to be putting a tile floor you should have a level even floor with duraroc down, you can't just throw tile down to cover the ugly floor up.or your tiles will be breaking.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #14

We decided on replacing the tub with a 60", raising the showerhead and putting a cabinet in the back to support the future shower door. I got the tub loose today but its easily a couple hundred pounds and it's difficult to maneuver it to get it out of the washroom. So tomorrow I'm going to temporarily cap the bidet's hot and cold line with shut off valves so we can thrash that bidet (which we were just planning to do later) which will make it so the tub can clear the washroom. We spent a good hour and a half today trying to get it out but it's just too heavy and too awkward.

Progress:
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1466.jpg   Advice on Bathroom Remodel-img_1467.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 582

make sure you look at repairing that joist that is cut in half...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement