Acrylic Tub Base Is Cupped Outward Won't Bed Flat, Need Ideas - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 02-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Acrylic tub base is cupped outward won't bed flat, need ideas

Howdy everyone

I'm installing a Mansfield alcove tub, acrylic whirlpool tub encased in fiberglass.
I have laid 3 mortar beds and I get a "spot" in the middle of the tub that has give. Each time I lay enough to compact, I set the tub in place and allow it to dry, I always wait 2 days for full cure. It get what feels like a soft spot in the exact same place every time. I took a pic of the inside of the tub, I initially outlined the area that gives when I walk/push on it so I could add extra mortar the other two times. Each time the same issue. I get mortar down, verify level and wait.

Today I pulled the tub and placed a level on the underside and lo-and-behold, the osb that is fiberglassed to the acrylic is cupped outward. The gap on the outsides are visible when I hold a level in the center of the osb. W/ the osb having a cup, the plastic will always have a little give on the tub side.

I got the tub last summer but the tear out and several other projects, family emergencies and now the gov shut down has put me behind.Thus i'm beyond the warranty period.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Acrylic tub base is cupped outward won't bed flat, need ideas-20190201_160234.jpg   Acrylic tub base is cupped outward won't bed flat, need ideas-20190201_160315.jpg  
powerlifter405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

Re: Acrylic tub base is cupped outward won't bed flat, need ideas

I will expand further that I did "piles" last time. I made a grid from 1x1's so the mortar could fully bed and shape.

The mortar is shaped to the underside of the tub BUT there is an air gap between the acrylic and the osb so everytime you walk in the tub it has give, it is the acrylic that is flexing, not the osb. The osb is fully supported by mortar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,370

1.) the bend in the bottom is likely there to help with draining.
2.) don't use mortar. Use Non-shrink grout.
3.) Don't lay down your mud and expect 100% contact. Spread your mud with a very coarse square groove trowel. You need room for displacement, so the base settles in completely.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Just read your post 2. Sounds like your tub is delaminating. I don't know of any way to fix that.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

The inside of the tub, is slopped properly.
The osb is warped.

I troweled the first time, same issue. I did piles this time, same issue. It's not a lack of contact w/ the bed, it is the OSB being warped and cupped. There were some other CQ issues, varying thickness of the fiberglass, incomplete sealing of the flanges etc. If I didn't have 1000 invested I'd toss it, but no one here locally sells oversized 70's tubs for less than 1000-1200. Due to my time issue i'm beyond the warranty so I"m trying to figure if there is a way to fix it.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Just read your post 2. Sounds like your tub is delaminating. I don't know of any way to fix that.
I'd think that if the osb wasn't warped. When I hold a level up to the osb it is an obvious issue, bad CQ. I can put my levels inside the tub and no bubbling or high spots.

IF the plastic was shaped to the osb the inside of the tub would have low pockets.

It's super hard to describe.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

I would call the mfg. They almost always have good tech service on hand. Even if out of warranty, they might give you a remedy or at least an explanation. If no help, check with the purchase place. Even though it's past warranty, this is still a new tub/base.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #8

Spent 30 min on hold only to be dropped when it was finally my turn. Each call back went straight to a busy signal.
My hope is that which you suggest but we'll see. We will try again Monday and I'll call menards this weekend. I'm not gonna hold my breath but who knows.

BTW, nice quote. When I have that debate w/ folks I put in the caveat, well I'll be the gov employee making the decision. Everyone tends to pucker up and rethink if their dream wonderland. It's all fun and games until someone who doesn't agree w/ your line of thinking is in charge.
jimfarwell and Yodaman like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,272

Just return it to where you bought it or maybe you can't because you bought it at one of those surplus stores or off of Craigslist ??? If so, just throw it away and spend the money to get a new one from a real store.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
Just return it to where you bought it or maybe you can't because you bought it at one of those surplus stores or off of Craigslist ??? If so, just throw it away and spend the money to get a new one from a real store.
It was an order only item so there is record so I have no way to sneak it back as a return/exchange due to the time frame.

That is an unfortunate option. I emailed Mansfield but the store employee lead me to believe their "might" be options but the store needs to see some exhausted options first.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,670

I would do a real sloppy mix almost like self leveling set the base and put a couple 5 gal. pales of water in the middle.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

If the mfg or store will not help, before I tossed it and purchased another, I might consider carefully drilling holes thru the OSB and then injecting a construction adhesive. Find a product compatible with the acrylic.
jimfarwell likes this.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

Jesus, just throw it in the trash and buy a nice new one for God's sake
Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
Jesus, just throw it in the trash and buy a nice new one for God's sake

I would guess that $1500 might mean more to some than it does for others.
I can say that it is not chump change in my account and if I could salvage the unit, I would. Certainly no harm in trying. Heck some folks waste a lot of their time on things that have absolutely no possibility of ROI.
jimfarwell and powerlifter405 like this.
jimfarwell (02-06-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #15

All I'm saying is if you're just going to rig it, it's eventually going to fail and leak so might as well just do it right the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement