80s Bathroom Refinish (Advice) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

80s Bathroom Refinish (Advice)

First post! Have a big project to refinish our 2 bathrooms + kitchen, but focusing on master bathroom (first). I'm trying to stay low-budget because we are looking to sell/move our house in the next 1-2 years. Our house is an 80s house and bathrooms/kitchens haven't been updated. (pics below)

Master Bathroom

Cabinet Top (laminate / partial board) = 55"x 22"
Cabinet Doors (4) = 11.75" x. 22"
Flooring = 57"x58"

I'm new to this stuff, but feel like it's a good project to start. Our shower has been done professionally and high cost...about 3 years ago.

Questions?

- I'm really looking into using a counter top paint / primer kit. I see a ton out there right now. How well do they work? Is it a good solution?

- Does the countertop paint cover the creases in the laminate edges?

- Can I paint the cabinet doors? and refinish? Also, can I paint inside on the raw / non-painted particle board?

- What is the best way to remove all these 1x1 tiles?! (board underneath)
porterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,082

Never used it myself but I've heard a couple people report good results with the Rustoleum countertop paint kit. Personally, I think I would avoid doing that in the first place.

Yes, you can paint cabinets. That said, it looks like I can see a seam - is that laminate/veneer or actual wood?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Never used it myself but I've heard a couple people report good results with the Rustoleum countertop paint kit. Personally, I think I would avoid doing that in the first place.

Yes, you can paint cabinets. That said, it looks like I can see a seam - is that laminate/veneer or actual wood?
I was going to give the rustoleum kit a try. Any other cheap solutions for replacing the counter top?

The cabinet and doors are all laminate/veneer over some particle wood? (it looks?)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,082

If the cabinets are laminate, that's tough to paint but veneer is pretty much like wood except you have to be careful sanding or you can punch through it. I just can't decide from your picture which I think you have.

If the countertops are bad, I'd put in new laminate tops.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

what is best way to tell? Any other pictures I could take?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The cabinets are laminated---I can see the edge---so painting will not be a good option.

I question your thinking--your want to sell in a year or two---people expect to pay top dollar for a house in top shape.

I believe you will get a quicker sale and more money if you add a new vanity with a high quality top and sink---

What will your paint over job look like when you do put the place on the market?

Just a suggestion---Mike---
Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

How much $?

Yeah I took a side shot and it's definitely a laminate over particle board. How estimated on the low end of replacing the entire cabinet/countertop? Where should I look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement