36" Kraus Front Apron Sink In A 36" Apron Sink Base - Best Way To Cut/install? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43
Question

36" Kraus front apron sink in a 36" apron sink base - best way to cut/install?

Installing a new kitchen and we are going to do a front apron/farmhouse style sink. We got a front apron 36" sink base specific for farmhouse sinks which gives an over-sized front apron face to trim to size.

Together with the sink base, we got a 36" Kraus front apron sink which is 35 7/8" wide exactly. Rough fitting the sink on top of the sink base (before any cutting) it looks like the sides of the sink on the bottom where a flange is bent rests directly on the sides of the 36" sink base. The front apron of the sink will also set below the sink to help support. So it looks like the sink will be supported on 3 sides, though there's nothing to screw the sink in per say to lock in into place...

Where I'm questioning myself is if I should have gone the 33" sink route and built a frame around the sink to support, leaving about 1.5" cabinet facing to frame out the facing of the sink. The base cabinet is going right next to a dishwasher as well, so with the sides cut, there won't be any cabinet between the sink and dishwasher (which is also stainless steel like the sink).

To install the 36" sink, I need to scribe and cut the front apron, and also cut the sides of the cabinet to get the sink in and leveled with the top of the cabinets. If I did go with the 36" sink, would I need to add additional support to the sink? I see some people put supports directly under the tub of the sink which eats up a lot of space below the sink. I'm curious if I could mount a 1x4 or 2x4 on the side of the sink that is not supported by any wood member of the sink base (closest side to the faucet), or do a full frame around the bottom of the sink (which I prefer not to do). Could also go the HUSH route which seems recommended on some installs.

Tried to look for some advice and previous posts on this topic, but nothing really specific to farmhouse sinks. Looking for any help or links to similar installs like mine.

Thanks all!
Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 866

I just went through this with a heavy porcelain sink, but not a farm house. Mine came with instructions saying to build a support out of 2x4 lumber. Does your manufacture not provide any installation instructions. If it is stainless steel, it ought not to be that heavy as a clay sink.

Actually, My kitchen remodeling contractor didn't use 2 x4 for the posts, but only box running along the inner sides and back of the cabinet. For posts, 1x3 solid maple was used to save space and they figured it would be strong enough as they are screwed to the 1/2" plywood sides of the cabinet.
(That was after I screamed bloody murder about how they first installed it, which is the subject of a recent thread of mine.)

Good luck and these guys here can give you some great help, but it may help if you were to upload some pics of the sink and cabinet.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 186

This might help. The sink sits on top of the vase cabinet. A filler was added for the dishwasher. The dishwasher has side mounting screws.

36" Kraus front apron sink in a 36" apron sink base - best way to cut/install?-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1443321924.788709.jpg
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
This might help. The sink sits on top of the vase cabinet. A filler was added for the dishwasher. The dishwasher has side mounting screws.

Attachment 199193
That's nice and clean! Your install allowed for a filler piece to be used between the cabinet and dishwasher? I'm not sure I have any room to spare unless i off-center my top cabinets to match the lower with the addition of a filler.
Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 866

How heavy is the sink and is it SS or clay? Pictures really help. Sounds like it is SS. A model number would help.

Last edited by Klawman; 10-06-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement