2nd Floor Master Bath Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1995droptopz

Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

2nd Floor Master Bath Remodel

We just purchased a home last week, and it looks like I am going to be getting started on my renovation sooner than I anticipated. After a couple of days, I noticed a paint bubble on the soffit above the kitchen sink. I touched it and it felt soft. Thought something might be up, so I started investigating. Looks like there is an obvious patch in the soffit where I saw the bubble, and the can light right next to it was not working, presumably it was burned out. Well when I went to change the bulb, I found that it was unscrewed a few turns, and the bubble had gotten worse. I moved the trim around the light and water dribbled out.

The master shower is right above the soffit, so it appears that the shady previous owners decided to cover up the shower leak instead of fixing it or disclosing it.

During my inspection, I ran the water in the shower for about 30 minutes to check the drains, and I saw no signs of water anywhere, especially since it was so conveniently patched and freshly painted. I did notice cracking in the tiles in the shower during inspection, so I had planned on fixing it, just not quite as soon as I will have to now.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,514

Re: 2nd Floor Master Bath Remodel

If fixed one a few years ago when water showed up on the ceiling below. When I got into it the water had been getting in for years before that just not showing. Lot's of rot .
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

I can post a few pictures later, but currently we have a unique bathroom layout. From the bedroom, there is a doorway that leads to a narrow hall with a vanity/sink on the right and the door to the walk-in closet on the left. Then there is another doorway leading to the bathroom, 3'x3'-ish shower on the left, toilet and vanity on the right. There is a window at the back of the bathroom.

So on the agenda for this remodel, we will be doing the following:

1. remove shower tile and plastic pan to inspect for water damage/mold.

2. Remove floor tile, toilet, and vanity.

3. Replace any rotten structure/subfloor

4. Move toilet to location of vanity now.

5. Extend shower to include its current location and span rear of the bathroom to take up space previously occupied by toilet.

6. Build tiled shower/shower pan

7. tile floor and extend tile into area just outside of bathroom.

8. Replace vanity across from closet, making a double sink vanity.

9. Add bath fan

10. move lighting locations, adding a few recessed lights and moving sconce lights over vanity across from closet.

11. Investigate possibility of heated floor.

For materials, I am looking very closely at the Kerdi products. I need to do some measurements of my actual proposed shower to see if the whole shower system makes sense, or if I should go with a traditional mud bed system. Either way, I plan on using Kerdi drain and waterproofing, unless I am convinced that there is a better way.

We plan to tile with a larger pattern subway tile on walls, penny tiles on the floor of shower, and 6"x24" wood look planks on bathroom floor.

I plan on having quite a few questions along the way, as this will be the first time doing a shower floor from scratch, moving drains in the floor, and removing/replacing sections of subfloor. I have a lot of tile and plumbing experience, and in my previous home built a basement bathroom from scratch.

I look forward to everyone's help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,514

You have damaged drywall down stairs. I would pull that first and see if you can figure the source like a leaky toilet or something. Then you might get back to the original schedule
Others can help with the shower floor, we see nothing but plastic up here..
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Yea I plan to bust into that here soon, need to get my tools unpacked first. Based on the number of tiles that are cracked or loose, I think I have a pretty good smoking gun as to where the leak is coming from. They will need to get replaced regardless, and I plan to move the toilet, so I don't plan on spending too much time on diagnosing why.

Additionally, the roof is new, so I do not suspect that as a cause, although while it is open I will check for signs that it could be coming from there.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,094

Since you purchased the home just a week ago I think this water leaking issue, obviously hidden by the previous owner, should be brought to the attention of your real estate attorney or agent. Perhaps the previous owner could be forced to pay for the repair since he / she knew about it and failed to disclose the problem.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
Since you purchased the home just a week ago I think this water leaking issue, obviously hidden by the previous owner, should be brought to the attention of your real estate attorney or agent. Perhaps the previous owner could be forced to pay for the repair since he / she knew about it and failed to disclose the problem.
I brought it up to our realtor, but since it will be hard to prove that they truly knew something and covered it up, we unfortunately do not have much recourse.

I'm willing to just deal with it and fix it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement