20' Soffit That Has 1.5" Bow - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
jkk

Rewards Points: 317

20' Soffit that has 1.5" bow

This kitchen soffit dips 1.5" near the middle. First picture shows a laser line but it's a little hard to see. They made its front with 2 2x12s, probably nailed together, with a 12' 2x10" sistered atross the joint of the 2x12s. The roof trusses sit on the outside wall of course, but they also are resting on one of the 2x12s. So, the assembly has sunk 1.5" at the joint of the 2x12s.
This sag/lowest point is 84.5" from the subfloor, which is important since an 84" pantry is supposed to go there. I may have to shave the pantry bottom a little, depending on how careful I am with the drywall.

I think my only concern is to get a level edge for the top of the cabinets that go under the soffit. For level, I'll need to fill in 1.5" at the very left of the soffit and 1" to the right end of the soffit, blending to 0" at the sag.

The 1.5" at the left side/corner is important since the height of the soffit is only 10.5" there: a 30" tall corner cabinet will extend 'out' to the 24" depth of the soffit and meet with a 42" cabinet. So, adding 1.5" to the left of the soffit makes the 30" and 42" cabinet 'match' work.

What's the best way to exend the lower edge of the soffit? Rip 2x material? I do not have table saw, only circular saw ...
Attached Thumbnails
20' Soffit that has 1.5" bow-img_2308.jpg   20' Soffit that has 1.5" bow-img_2307.jpg  
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
HDS

Rewards Points: 318

Re: 20' Soffit that has 1.5" bow

Is the dip near where the water damage was in the roof?
HDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
jkk

Rewards Points: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Is the dip near where the water damage was in the roof?
Close, but the leak near the vent pipe was probably an old and small one, no damage to the drywall.
Why do you ask about leak?
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
HDS

Just throwing some ideas out here as a brainstorming session, if some are hacks, please forgive me.

Planning any trim on the front top of your cabinets? That could be used to cover the gap?

Put your level line on the soffit, mark the line, and trim the dip out.

Remove the drywall and replace with a piece that covers the entire area. Will also need to put in filler pieces. Probably not the best idea though.

Did you know of the dip prior to demo? Curious if it was there since initially constructed or got worse over time?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
HDS

Was curious if the leak could have caused some settling.

Last edited by HDS; 08-06-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
HDS

Some trim ideas if the depth of the cabinets and the soffit are close.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

I understand that your concern is with the dip in the soffit and installing cabinets but I would imagine your ceiling has the same dip?
I would take the soffit out,find and correct the real issue before installing new cabinets in a problem area.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,452

Second about fixing the drop ceiling. Double 2x12? Made it like a beam hoping it would stay as a beam, but the span was too great, I think. It's not a lot of work to remove the beam and rebuild with lighter wood, like a ladder. That is, if you want the seam between the ceiling and the cabinets to look good. If you just fill with pieces of wood, and may be plaster over, there is very good chance the plaster will crack along the joint.
If you will have a top trim for the cabinets, same, if the trim is below the ceiling.
I don't think jacking up the beam and fastening to the ceiling will work well. It is possible the beam will return to its bent shape, taking the ceiling with it.
Also, you want to put the cabinets together, matching the doors and drawers in the even line, not the legs. They are usually adjusted and matched as long as your boxes are matched.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 426

Either I am missing something really obvious, or seeing something no one else is. As far as I can tell that "beam" is holding up the ceiling. I would expect to see ceiling joist coming through that open area, but I see nothing. All I can see are the roof rafters.

If that is the case you have a bigger problem. That "beam" needs to be replaced with an actual properly designed structural member to span that distance.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Jones View Post
Either I am missing something really obvious, or seeing something no one else is. As far as I can tell that "beam" is holding up the ceiling. I would expect to see ceiling joist coming through that open area, but I see nothing. All I can see are the roof rafters.
Bingo... You are correct.. I have the same "soffit" in my kitchen.. It's just a lot farther out from the wall..

How old is the house? With the kitchen out now is probably the time the jack the ceiling back up and replace that beam.. You can do this yourself if you choose... with some help lifting the new beam in place..
Attached Thumbnails
20' Soffit that has 1.5" bow-img_5533.jpg  

Last edited by ryansdiydad; 09-17-2016 at 07:20 AM.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement