Zoeller Model#264 Install Question.. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Still Decompressing

Rewards Points: 277

Zoeller Model#264 Install Question..

I am putting the final touches on my basement bathroom project, and am replacing the existing sump pump with a Zoeller #264 sewage pump. I was researching information on pump installations and had a questions. I see some folks drill a 3/16" hole on the pvc pipe a couple inches above the pump houseing to prevent air lock. I did a little more research and found that some Zoeller pumps have the small hole already drilled into the pump housing eliminating the need for the hole.

I do not see the hole anywhere obvious in my model #264 .4hp pump.

I did not see any installation instructions in the box, and don't see any on the Zoeller site.

I am leaning towards drilling the 3/16" hole 2-3" above the housing on the 2" PVC.

Any thoughts???
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The hole is generally drilled in the pipe just upstream of the check valve. I have always been told that the purpose of the hole is to allow water in the pipe upstream of the check valve to drain back into the sump pit when the pump shuts down. This prevents freezing of water in the lines in cold climates. Typically I have seen a 1/8 inch diameter hole, but 3/16 should work too. Hole is typically drilled on underside of pipe within the sump pit, so water that sprays out during pumping stays in the pit.

I removed the check valve from my installation because it seemed to cause a lot of problems. I also operate with no pinhole in the pipe. Due to the pipe arrangement, this means that about 15 feet of pipe water drains back into the sump pit after each pumping cycle, but you would get the same thing if you had a hole in the pipe upstream of the check valve. My arrangement has worked out fine for the past fifteen years.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
caveeagle (01-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,938

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/pr...-264#documents
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
caveeagle (01-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Still Decompressing

Rewards Points: 277

Thanks for the link. I was using my old laptop with the older internet explorer and the 'documents' did not open up earlier when I was looking.

Using chrome, it opened up fine.

So, Zoeller says to drill the 3/16" hole in the discharge pipe even with the top of the pump. Inside the sump. I am using the cast iron Zoeller check valve that is above the sump about ~12" above the sump cover.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,938

Yep. Have fun.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement