Yet Another Toilet Flange Topic... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Yet another toilet flange topic...

ok, sorry for putting this out there yet again, but for some reason I couldn't add photos to a reply to someone else's post.

anywho...here's a repost of my reply to someone else's post...

Hello there. New to my house in El Paso, DIY, and this post.

I am also experiencing the same problem as Ponch37300, however, how do I bolt the new metal flange to the cement floor which is under the large (nice!) tiles? I've never had nice tiles like this and the only thing I've secured to hard surfaces is a flag pole in red brick. I used the blue TAPCON screws....

As you can see in the pics the lovely job the last owners left for me to fix is quite the job, but it's still attached to the pvc flange (secured on outside of 3" pipe - weird).

1. How do I get the old metal ring off the flange?

2. If it is flush with the floor, do I need to get additional risers to make it sit just above floor level?

3. Can I use TAPCON screws to secure new ring to cement floor, with drilling pilot holes of course?

Thanks!

(It says I need one post in order to post links. This is my first post, then I will try to reply with pics.)
bleednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #2

Re: Yet another toilet flange topic...

And here are the pics...

[IMG]http://www.diychatroom.com/albums/thumbnails/21/e2585087567186b2
5b05f48e662d637d_21882.jpg?dl=1480916626[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,074

Should be a fairly easy repair. Get a repair flange from home depot . It is stainless steel costs about 6 bucks. Get tap-cons with proper size pre drill. Put repair flange over old with the toilet bolt slots in the right place. Tap-con every hole down through the old flange into the concrete. ( You probably have to drill out the holes first to get through the flange to install the tap cons) Install the right length toilet hold down bolts and replace toilet with new seal. Tip. Most of the time I buy extra nuts and put them on the toilet bolts to hold them in place while placing the toilet in place, not real tight just enough to hold them. When you set the toilet bolts measure off the back wall to get them exact. They won't get in the way because of the spacing under the toilet. I just did this to my other toilet last week. Good luck.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks COLDIRON for the tips. I want to complete your suggested fix, but I ran into another issue. Secondary damage I hadn't seen until I pulled the old ring out...

When I investigated the flooring under where the ring should be attached to, it was soft and crumbly, like dirt. As you can see in the pics, my screwdriver was easily placed into the soft flooring remains up to its hilt.

Bummer...

My first thought is to clean it completely out until there is nothing but hardened materials left, cement, pipe etc.

fill with cement to surface of surrounding flooring (under tile). let dry for the allotted time (1-2 days), then tapcon screw a ring down and follow original plan.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

Not really, that's all I got Maybe some one else with much more knowledge than you and me will answer any other questions. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 434

yes bleednate, clean out all loose material, get some quick setting commercial repair grout and fill the void. let it set, then proceed as you would before. drill, set flange, wax gasket, set toilet. I would however get some structural epoxy and add it to the tap-con holes after you blow the dust out. gives a really good bond.
Mrbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,860

Before you concrete does the flange wrap on the outside of the pipe or inside the pipe. You need to peel and remove it. Let me know and I will walk you through it.

Also using repair flanges only result in a sewer gas leak.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

I am going to follow this dude's video steps.

I wasn't going to replace the flange but only replaced the ring with the stainless steel one below from lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Stain...nge/1000126903

I inspected the current plastic flange and it is still good and secured to the down pipe.

I saw another video of flange removal and it looks quite difficult which I would think is only in the event the flange itself was broken or damaged...

(can you all click on the pictures in my previous posts to enlarge them? I can't....)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #9

The soft, brittle rusted/rotted cement is at least 12" deep and 14"+ wide, under the tile. I may have to have a professional restoration contractor. Probably going to need to pull the baseboards and surrounding tiles up for a proper repair. fml....
Old 12-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,054

If the tiles are ok, I'd just cut the pvc pipe and install a new PVC toilet flange. They sell a 3"/4" universal one. Make sure the flange is level, at the correct height and the bolt slots are in the proper location. Easy job.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,860

Don't do it right I can't smell it from my house :}
bleednate likes this.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #12

little "hand-x-ray" from what I think it generally looks like. T are the tiles, gray is the hard cement subfloor, gold is the rusted/rotted/brittle cement which resembles sand.

after poking it with a thin rod, i was able to measure almost 14" down. when I poked horizontally under the lip of the hole I measured at least 12" on two sides and 10" on the other two sides. home insurance is supposed to call tomorrow. maybe an adjuster/inspector guy....

Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 AM   #13

Stay with it Bleed. That's how you get stuff done. I see so many people afraid to pick up tools or not try anything. You'll get it and it will be fine. I see you are another guy that does drawings like me. I feel better now I am not alone.

Remember can do.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #14
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleednate View Post
little "hand-x-ray" from what I think it generally looks like. T are the tiles, gray is the hard cement subfloor, gold is the rusted/rotted/brittle cement which resembles sand.

after poking it with a thin rod, i was able to measure almost 14" down. when I poked horizontally under the lip of the hole I measured at least 12" on two sides and 10" on the other two sides. home insurance is supposed to call tomorrow. maybe an adjuster/inspector guy....

Insurance company?

Get the concrete out, stuff it full, and install your new flange.
123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #15

Farmers. Wanted to come out next Thursday. I talked him in to coming on Monday. Don't even know if they'll cover it until they come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement