Is Yellow Polyethelene Or Polyphenol Gas Pipe Now The Preferred Gas Conduit? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Is yellow polyethelene or polyphenol gas pipe now the preferred gas conduit?

I need to replace a 3/4 inch natural gas black pipe line to an outdoor barbecue that runs out of the basement, travels 20 feet through a metal sleeve deep inside a concrete deck or patio, emerges on the exterior face and travels another 28 feet on the face of the deck to the barbecue. The pipe is now badly corroded and brittle.

Do I run new medium density polyethelene (MDPE) pipe through the metal sleeve to the exterior, and then revert to black pipe outside on the deck face, or do I continue with the plastic pipe? Must the plastic pipe then run through another sleeve? Metal or plastic?

When I went to buy the yellow pipe, they told me I needed risers. I asked if risers were the same as traps. They said No. I didn't buy it, as I need to learn how to safely and properly install the replacement run.

I am told I can no longer use black pipe through the concrete deck, as one metal pipe inside another will cause galvanic action between the two metal pipes. Either I must chop through the concrete to install plastic conduit for black pipe, or I must use plastic gas pipe through the existing metal pipe.

This simple gas pipe replacement project has me stymied. If you've read this far and remain interested, I bought 50 feet of flexible vinyl coated stainless gas pipe, but was stopped going out the door. It turned out they could not sell it to me, as I was not certified by the mfrr to install it. The supply house reversed the sale, but offered to sell me MDPE or black pipe, so long as I used risers with the MDPE, but I do not know what a riser is. They also gave me the name of a certified flexible pipe installer. They told me they are not even permitted to sell the flexible pipe to licensed plumbers. They must be certified by the specific pipe mfr.

Your comments and suggestions are REALLY needed.

Last edited by MarkSilber; 09-18-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Website does not accept quotation marks.
MarkSilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,801
Rewards Points: 1,000

yes you can insert the yollow plastic through a sleeve.. You will need the risers & couplings To tie the plastic to as you can't use the plastic above grade.. Run the plastic the entire length. Then, use the riser or risers..
I use polyethelene pipe

Don't do this Unless you are certified & know how.. Gas can be dangerous for a DIYER

Last edited by kenmac; 09-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Solder Copper Pipes Termite How To Guides 69 11-13-2012 12:20 PM
Septic/sewer pipe replacement Mendocino Plumbing 4 11-21-2008 05:40 PM
Furnace Venting Requirments jamiedolan HVAC 9 11-18-2008 05:40 PM
Copper pipe for conduit? ricemg Electrical 4 01-23-2007 05:04 PM
Need to support 15th of ABS pipe irishtimes101 Plumbing 3 09-01-2006 11:09 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts