Yard Hydrant Installation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,185

Yard Hydrant Installation

I have a couple of yard hydrants in my yard connected with PVC pipe but when I watch videos of how to install one, I see some sort of flexible pipe used - which makes sense so connections don't break. The first two, when I put them in, I put concrete around them to hold them secure and they've been in service for nearly 20 years without leaks but I'd like to do a better job on the next one - that I'm hoping to install this weekend.

How do the experts connect them? What kind of pipe to connect them? When I replaced the main a few years ago I stubbed out where this hydrant would go by putting in a pvc tee with a 12-inch stub so I have a straight bit of 1" PVC to connect to. But what do I use to make the connection, what pipe, etc.?
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,974

Re: Yard Hydrant Installation

I'd use PEX but Polyethylene could also be used.
I hope you Did not back fill the whole hole with concrete.
There needs to be gravel at the bottom so it can drain when the water is shut off.
http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/...YHInstall.html
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Thanks Joe. I didn't backfill the whole hole with concrete. I put 16 inches of small gravel under and up to about 6 inches above the drain wrapped basically in a bag of landscape fabric including covering the top of the gravel with the fabric, next a foot of soil, and then I placed a bag of cement mix dry and wet it with the hose.

Well, I just hit the water main to the house with the backhoe so I have major work to do now. Hopefully I can get under the crawlspace enough to get to the break and, if I'm lucky, there are no splits or cracks beyond where I was digging.

The guy who put in the line was an idiot. THere's no sand or gravel. I was still digging in rocky soil - soil with rocks as big as a foot. I was watching for sand to start digging by hand.

Last edited by dalepres; 09-02-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added landscape fabric to the list on the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,430

Gravel doesn't improve drainage nor does it compact, period, but when the hydrant needs to be removed or the 1/8" street ell needs removed to clean roots out it does make removal of the hydrant or ell more difficult by about X 10.

A couple ft. of galvanized connected to the plastic line at the hydrant will stabilize if you leave the gravel out and compact some compact-able soil. For GAWD sake omit the concrete. If it's where cattle are, drive a T-Iron post beside the hydrant to stabilize because cattle will screw up a steel ball.

This one's drainage ell plugged with Virginia Creeper roots after about 10 years. I knew which side the ell was on so all it took was dig 21/2 ft. on that side, remove the ell, clean, re-install and fill the hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Yard Hydrant Installation-hydrant-drain-repair-11-11-16.jpg  
Attached Images

dalepres likes this.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #5

I understood the purpose of the gravel was simply to leave enough air-space to drain the pipe once so it doesn't really have to improve drainage, it just lets the water out fast enough to not freeze; it can absorb/drain later.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

Joe, or others, regarding using pex or polyethylene pipe. Do you use compression fittings under ground? Are they reliable enough to bury?
Old 09-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepres View Post
Joe, or others, regarding using pex or polyethylene pipe. Do you use compression fittings under ground? Are they reliable enough to bury?
We use 160lb. or better poly in our area.
When connecting to pvc I use MIP adapter on the pvc- female threads are known to crack.
After the pvc adapter, it's bass and poly. If you want to spend the money go with pack fittings. They'll last for ever and are easy to work with.
Or you can go the cheap route and use galv. barbed fittings and hose clamps(2 on each end)

Note: I don't think all brands of Pex fittings are approved for bury- double check first
Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Well, the main is fixed - as long as no pipe was split out of sight from my hole. I'm just killing time while the glue dries.

EPlumber,

Looking at the fittings on the page you linked, this looks like the right one:

https://www.completeplumbingsource.c...female-adaptor

There's not much detail on how to use it; I hope it will be self-explanatory. The main is 1 inch but I think it would be best to reduce to 3/4 inch because the 3/4 inch poly pipe will be more flexible. What do you think?

I definitely don't want to go the cheap way. It just sounds unreliable to me and this is a job I only want to do once - well, once per hydrant and I have at least 3 more to do after this one.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 254

Poly can have 2 OD's - iron pipe(IP) or copper tube (CTS) make sure the pak you get is the right poly OD
They also need an insert to go inside the poly so it doesn't collapse when you compress down the nut.
They work on the same principle as a nut and ferrule joint except the ferrule is not brass- rather a rubber of sorts.

IMO, they beat the insert and ss band route, but they cost more. Both are approved in my area.
dalepres likes this.
dalepres (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #10

Thanks for the explanation; I would likely have bought the wrong one. Since both sizes are available, I'll find the pipe first and then the connectors.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #11

I believe eventually you will need to reduce to 3/4 as that's all I've seen on those hydrants at the supply connection.
dalepres likes this.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,570

Nothing to do with your installation, but I had a client with a "through" supply at a 16" depth, which didn't give much latitude for a deep hydrant, so we improvised. Water in on the left, out on the right with a hydrant in the middle with "wings" for stabilization. I also added the obligatory metal rod beside it for more strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Yard Hydrant Installation-hydrant-support.jpg  
dalepres likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Does anyone else agree that big-box stores are useless?

Lowes has the pipe but only in IP, not CTS except for special order. I was able to find the pack fittings in CTS or IP but I could only find the insert in CTS - and that was after searching google for over an hour. I ended up having to order from three different places:

Pipe special order from Lowe's (not even store pickup; had to have it shipped to the house).

Sim Supply, through NewEgg.com to get the CTS pack fittings

AY McDonald 6133T CTS inserts from Do It Best. They were the cheapest; some were as high as 18 bucks each for a single insert. Nowhere at all could I find 3/4 inch IP inserts to go with the pack fittings.

It's amazing that Lowe's (there's no Home Depot within 75 miles) sells the hydrants and leaves you on your own to find anything you need to go with them.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #14

I buy from a plumbing supply with the exception of a few pvc and galvanized fittings I can get closer at a Farmer's CO-OP hardware.

I refuse to go through what you just went through on line. I must touch it.

Don't over think this hydrant project. PVC and hot dip galvanize are still good products for this. Just avoid female threaded PVC fittings.
dalepres likes this.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement