Wood Cracking Sound From Pipe Expansion - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Wood cracking sound from pipe expansion

Hi,

I live in a recently purchased condo on the second floor of a 3 floor building, the condo is 4 years old, I have a persistent noise behind my kitchen counters that I can only describe as a wood/pipe cracking sound, it's intermittent and sometimes the delay between each noise is very short.

There's an opening underneath the counter, I was able to stick my arm in and film the source of the noise, it seems to come from a pipe, I can reproduce the noise by pushing and pulling on the pipe, the pipe also feels warm when the noise occurs and I can feel water streaming through it from the people living upstairs.

I managed to film the pipe and the noise it makes when I push and pull on it,
you can view the video here: youtu.be/feLqYxyco6I

maybe someone can provide me some insight on how to reduce this noise I would greatly appreciate it;

Thank you,

Fred
capo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,275

The popping is caused from the pipe expanding because of hot water going through it. I don't know if insulating the pipe would do any good or not but it might be work a try.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,430

I agree with you, sounds like the wood is creaking/crackling from expansion, especially when hot water is used. What kind of pipe is it? Can't really tell, the video is blurry. It looks like an abs drain line with expansion foam all around the base of it.

I really don't know how to make it more quieter other than cutting the expansion foam out from around it and investigate a little further. Maybe the pipe is too tight against the wood and has no room for expansion when it gets hot. Maybe some insulation may help. Idk.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Hi,

thanks for the reply,

it definitely has a plastic feel to it when I touch it, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of pipe it is.

I know forsure that when there's water running through it, the pipe becomes warm to the touch, and that's when the noise starts to occur, it's definitely a WOOD cracking sound, I think it's like you've said, the pipe is very tight against the hole and the heat makes it expand and the surrounding wood makes this noise. But if this is the case by now these constant expansions would of made the wood around it a little less tight against the pipe no? The cracking always seems to be the same...

Can I do anything for this expansion? Loosening around the pipe could help?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo2015 View Post
Hi,

thanks for the reply,

it definitely has a plastic feel to it when I touch it, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of pipe it is.

I know forsure that when there's water running through it, the pipe becomes warm to the touch, and that's when the noise starts to occur, it's definitely a WOOD cracking sound, I think it's like you've said, the pipe is very tight against the hole and the heat makes it expand and the surrounding wood makes this noise. But if this is the case by now these constant expansions would of made the wood around it a little less tight against the pipe no? The cracking always seems to be the same...

Can I do anything for this expansion? Loosening around the pipe could help?
You would think that the constant contracting/expanding would make it go away after awhile but it won't until you do something.

It's in a pretty tight spot.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 740

It's not the wood cracking, despite what it sounds, it's just the pipe rubbing against the wood as they expand at different rates, and no, it will never go away on its own. My house is 100 years old and we still have that noise If it bothers you you can put something between the wood and the pipe, but depending how tight it is that might be tough.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

Hi,

Isn't the whole problem caused by the pipe being too close to the wood, wouldn't putting something between them make it even worse?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo2015 View Post
Hi,

Isn't the whole problem caused by the pipe being too close to the wood, wouldn't putting something between them make it even worse?
Ayuh,... The Hope in that plan is that it'll slip quietly,....

Plastic on plastic oughta be quieter than plastic on wood,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 266

Spray some silicon lubricant. Re-apply as needed.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement