This Is Why I Hate Doing My Own Plumbing - Help Me Remove This 2 Handle Kohler Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hkstroud
  • 1 Post By MoreCowbell70
  • 2 Post By hkstroud

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 182

This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet

I have 3 of the same 2-handle Kohler faucet in my house. On two of them, there's a leak under the sink from the hot side whenever the hot water is used.

A plumber friend told me these kinds aren't really serviceable so today I decided to just replace the faucets. First step is to remove but the Kohler website has completely different instructions than the type of faucet I have.

I got the handles off, but there's no nut under the hot or cold handles, just something under the main stalk that doesn't budge and I don't see how I can remove it as there are two black tines preventing me from unscrewing it.

Can anyone assist?

This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k1.jpg

This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k2.jpg
MoreCowbell70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 770

Re: This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler fa

Try one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-E...6988/303528759

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,550

Re: This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler fa

Quote:
A plumber friend told me these kinds aren't really serviceable
Keep him as a friend but get a new plumber.
Attached Thumbnails
This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k2.jpg   This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k1.jpg  
TarheelTerp, ZTMAN and akuhn235 like this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-28-2019 at 12:44 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

Attached Thumbnails
This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

LOL at "Keep him as a friend but get a new plumber."

So I tried tightening that nut - I had to give it substantial torque but it did tighten a slight amount (clockwise). Still leaks.

Here's a pic of where it's leaking from - not from under the nut but between the nut and the turney-thingy. Sorry for being technical.

This is why I hate doing my own plumbing - help me remove this 2 handle Kohler faucet-k3.jpg

Am I going the right way (clockwise) ... should I try to crank on it more? Or do I need a new cartridge?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Demo:
https://youtu.be/o79QcWyRrk8
Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 122

have you tried calling kohler? if they have a lifetime warranty (which I thought they did) they should send you free replacement parts.
akuhn235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,466

I suspect your valve needs new "O" ring(s). Try turning the hex nut Counter Clockwise to remove the cartridge assembly and pull the assembly out. Remove the spring clip and take the stem out which will expose the O ring(s). Being it is older and with a manufacturer that's not fully cooperative, a trip to ACE hardware or an entity that sells O rings may be in order. While there purchase a small tube of plumber's grease and during assembly, apply a liberal coating on and inside everything that slips, slides or turns or looks as if it should.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

Thanks all - I reached out to Kohler, we'll see if they respond.

I also have two Delta faucets I got for pretty cheap during a sale so I'm debating just tossing the Kohlers and going all-new Delta.

This isn't my first Kohler-failure rodeo, unfortunately.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 832

You need a new cartridge. The stem has stops so this should be a "washerless" faucet. Washerless uses O-rings to seal the stem rather than packing like the old washer type faucets used. Packing could be tightened, with O-rings you need to replace parts. It most likely has a complete modular cartridge that you just remove and replace. This will essentially make the faucet workings like new again unless the body is damaged or corroded. All faucets, no matter how good, will eventually wear out. As long as the body is not damaged or outdated, fixing them is usually pretty inexpensive and easy.

Shut the water off first, you should be able to unscrew that nut right below the stem to get the cartridge out. Once you have it out you can take it to a plumbing supply or hardware store and match it up to get replacements. As stated some mfr. will send you parts for free without too much effort but I'm usually in a rush to get it repaired and just go buy them.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

I agree with all of the above comments. Those valves at first appeared to be the old compression type with packing seals around the stem. Unfortunately I was apparently wrong and they are cartridge type. Replacing the cartridges will renew the faucets. The most difficult thing will be finding the model number of the faucet. For some unknown reason manufacturing companies of plumbing products often do not put model numbers on their products. May be a sales tactic to just sell more new products.
Of course you could just remove one and visit the big box stores or a plumbing supply. That can be time consuming and frustrating. Try Google, may be a Kohler K-GP77006-RP

Home / All Products / Bathroom / Faucet Repair Parts / Faucet Valve Cartridges / Kohler K-GP77006-RP

Kohler Faucet Valve Cartridge K-GP77006-RP Rough Plate
SeniorSitizen and akuhn235 like this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 01-28-2019 at 05:36 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #12

Thanks all. It's a Kohler 12266-4-CP-AA ... this exact faucet:

https://www.amazon.com/K-12266-4-CP-.../dp/B000MF88B6

Trying my hand with Kohler customer service and if I strike out there I'll see if I can find the correct cartridge online. For the time being I have a bowl under the sink catching drops, can survive this way indefinitely so luckily no major rush.

Thanks again for the help, will update this thread through the conclusion.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #13

Kohler provided two free cartridges within days of contacting them about the faucet failure. Not terribly impressed with the quality of their fixtures but you have to give them customer service points for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement