Whole House Filter For Well Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whole House Filter for Well Water

I am on a well and installed an inline 10" x 2 1/2" sediment water filter a few years ago. All supply lines are currently 3/4" copper from the pressure tank outlet (inlet is 1 1/4" from submersible pump), through the sediment filter, through the water softener to the main trunk line. I use 5 micron filters due to the amount of sediment and rust and have to change it about every 3 weeks or there is too much pressure drop in the house. I am thinking of 2 options and don't want to use 20" filters:

1. Upgrade to a 10" x 4 1/2" sediment filter staying with 3/4" connections (but not sure if this will help with the pressure drop) but the specs on the unit I looked at has a much higher GPM than my current unit at the same PSI.

2. Change the supply line from the pressure tank to 1" and replace the sediment filter with a 10" x 4 1/2" unit with 1" connections. My water softener has 1" connections on the valve body (and included 3/4" reducing bushings) so I could run a full 1" line from the pressure tank to the main 3/4" trunk line and tee back in from 1" to 3/4".

Any thoughts if Option 1 would suffice. Option 2 would require less than 20' of 1" pipe plus connectors and shut-offs. Would this make any noticable water flow or pressure increases?
jfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

As I understand your explanation the pressure is fine when the filter element is new. It is the clogging of the filter element that causes pressure drop. If I have correctly understood your explanation changing the pipe size etc isn't going to solve the problem.

To extend filter change times you need a larger filter.

Another way to deal with the problem would be a backwashing sediment filter--this makes the filter cleaning process automatic.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice but I prefer not to use another water using device. I am upgrading to a larger filter from 10 x 2.5 to 10 x 4.5 and I was wondering if it would also help to upgrade the water line from 3/4" to 1" as well from the tank through the filter and water softener. I am not an expert on flow rates and was hoping for some technical advice if this was really needed or not.
jfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If the pressure is good with the water flowing through a new (clean) filter cartridge increasing the size of the water line is not needed--it is not the pipe that is causing the pressure loss.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

What Bob said .
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement