Where Did All The Power Cords Go? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 457

Where did all the power cords go?

I was close to a decision about what type of replacement WH to get, when I was told no new WH's come with cords, that they're all "hard-wired" now. Is that something that the plumber does? Is that done at the point of the existing receptacle?
DIherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIherself View Post
I was close to a decision about what type of replacement WH to get, when I was told no new WH's come with cords, that they're all "hard-wired" now. Is that something that the plumber does? Is that done at the point of the existing receptacle?
I've never seen a whole house(30 -50 gallon) electric water heater that plugged in. Plumbing companies usually have an electrician they work with to install the electric aspects of a job.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIherself View Post
Ayuh,.... Water heaters have usually been hard wired, like Forever,....

Donno what codes are, 'n Donno why yer's was wired with a plug whip, 'n receptacle,...

The Plumbers I know can do some electrical, 'n the Electricians I know can do alittle plumbin',...

Wherever yer buyin' the water heater oughta be able to point ya in the right direction, locally speakin',...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,584

Plumbers should be able to wire it into an existing junction box/disconnect switch supplied for the heater. It would be considered part of the installation not electrical.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

My 27-gallon WH was plugged in at least 18 years ago, maybe longer, and just quit last week. It's the third WH that's been in this house in 39 years! I hope they still make them like that. Thanks for the replies, now that I'm over the initial shock.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,584

If you still want it plugged in then remove the cord from the old one and install it on the new one.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If you still want it plugged in then remove the cord from the old one and install it on the new one.
Being totally clueless on the subject myself.... is that wise from a safety stand point???
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #8

Can't imagine why they did away with power cords in the first place. Seems to me if something went haywire, one could just unplug it real quick unless....

The junction box/disconnect switch of which you speak, is that going where the electric outlet is now? Maybe the disconnect switch replaces the unplugging?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Being totally clueless on the subject myself.... is that wise from a safety stand point???
It was done that way for people to plug them into a generator when power goes out. Only issue is that you would have one generator for the water heater and another for the other stuff in the house, if you did not get one large enough.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
Can't imagine why they did away with power cords in the first place.
Ayuh,.... "They" didn't,.... There never were water heaters with power cords,....

Somebody Put a power cord on the heater installed at yer house,...

It's reasonably simple operation to put the cord on the heater, much like hard wirin' it,...
Actually, Just like hard wirin' it,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
dd57chevy (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,130

In more than 40 years and a dozen houses, I've never seen a full-sized water heater with a plug-in cord.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,414

The house I used to live in, in Colorado, did have a plug-in electric water heater. They do exist. Whether it is code compliant, that's another question.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,426

Unless I missed it on this code compliant site, of about a half dozen replies I've not seen one single reply that states what their code is.

Ramble on, it's my early morning entertainment.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
The house I used to live in, in Colorado, did have a plug-in electric water heater. They do exist. Whether it is code compliant, that's another question.
It is Code Compliant as long as there is easy access to turning off the power first.

Colorado you have the chance of a power outage. Being able to plug the water heater into a genset helps.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ZZZZZ (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #15

time for a picture

The picture is looking down from atop WH (tabletop) which is 36" tall. Maybe this round thing is a junction box? That's why I'd like to know if whatever the plumber does electric-wise happens at the outlet which is pictured.

The WH is on its own circuit, all by itself, and I turned it off (flipped the switch down) which I assume is "easy access to turning off the power...." Although I am still getting water through the spigots, cold as it may be, so what is driving the cold water out of the faucets? Is it an electric force making it flow? Gravity? I just thought of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Where did all the power cords go?-dcp_3938.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement