Where To Buy This Bathtub Faucet Spout? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Where to buy this bathtub faucet spout?

Hi,

I have a standalone bathtub and the spout was leaking on it. I know it is the spout leaking because when I turn it to shower mode by sliding up the knob in the front, it would spray out the left side. There was also some silicone put on the side before, someone must have tried to fix it temporarily.

I thought it would be a quick fix by removing and reattaching a replacement, but after unscrewing the leaking spout with a channelock and visiting a few hardware stores, they assured me what I have is pretty ancient and probably hard to find. I have attached a few pictures to show you. Anyone know where I could find a replacement for this spout? The spout itself is nothing special, just stops water and lets it go back up into the 3rd hole which is the shower. It has about 1 5/16" threads on the inside back end of it and is made mostly of aluminum coated plastic, really flimsy. If I could get a metal replacement that would be amazing even, but I'd probably settle for plastic.

If anyone has any info at all that'd be great. Thanks a lot!

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Where to buy this bathtub faucet spout?-img_1784.jpg   Where to buy this bathtub faucet spout?-img_1785.jpg   Where to buy this bathtub faucet spout?-img_1786.jpg   Where to buy this bathtub faucet spout?-img_1513.jpg  
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,220

I agree, probably not going to find a one piece shower unit like that where you can just swap it out. You could try ebay, you might get lucky.

You could replace it with an up to date one. Moen and Delta have rebuild kits that may work. Depending on your skills and type of pipe you're dealing with you may be able to diy. Just a suggestion.

Please wait for the plumbers to respond. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I agree, probably not going to find a one piece shower unit like that where you can just swap it out. You could try ebay, you might get lucky.

You could replace it with an up to date one. Moen and Delta have rebuild kits that may work. Depending on your skills and type of pipe you're dealing with you may be able to diy. Just a suggestion.

I don't think they have a rebuilt kit for this. I looked all around and even finding a good faucet for this standalone tub was a pain, most about $200 range. They apparently call them clawfoot bathtub faucets. I was wondering if putting in this one from Amazon is worth it at all? http://www.amazon.com/Centers-Chrome.../dp/B002ZV62DQ

I'm foreseeing problems at the 3/8" pipe attachment at the top and maybe the O-rings won't close after years, since it's the Price pfister style of seat/washer which sucks. I'm kind of leaning toward buying the ceramic cartridge version as I am tired of O-rings, which is about $20-30 extra.. I mean it LOOKs like it should work, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,220

Verify the length of old one. I agree with you, as long as it matches up with the tub holes I would think it would work.

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Yeah I'm not sure if it's going to work or if there is a better way. Anyone have experience installing faucets onto clawfoot tubs?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 802

The existing faucet and your Amazon replacement will not meet current code. The faucet spout needs to be above the flood rim of the tub or have a back flow preventer.

You might want to send a question to Amazon to ask if the unit has back flow prevention.

http://www.blog.vintagetub.com/2005/...wfoot-tub.html

Last edited by rjniles; 11-01-2015 at 01:19 PM.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
The existing faucet and your Amazon replacement will not meet current code. The faucet spout needs to be above the flood rim of the tub or have a back flow preventer.

You might want to send a question to Amazon to ask if the unit has back flow prevention.

http://www.blog.vintagetub.com/2005/...wfoot-tub.html
Yeah and that is why I want to just replace the spout. If I don't have to replace the entire thing and bring it up to code, that'd be the best way. Any clue how I can get a replacement spout for the original?

If things go bad and I have to replace the whole thing, I doubt the inspector is going to say much about it since it is above the overflow drain. BTW the entire house is probably not up to code since it is 100 years old
Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 18,794

Looks like a cheap plastic one they use in travel trailers.
Check out sites like Campers World. Not likely to find just the spout.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 38

Common faucet replacement. The original spout was an integral part of the faucet and is NOT replaceable. You need a new faucet. Go to your local plumbing supply store and tell them you need an inexpensive clawfoot tub faucet. If they do not have one available, they are not a plumbing supply store. An inexpensive replacement faucet for your tub is readily available for less than $100.

Your Amazon find is poor quality and will not meet any codes but it will work.

Last edited by SHR Plumber; 11-02-2015 at 11:12 PM.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement