When And At What Height To Cut Pvc Toilet Drain Line In Concrete Basement Floor? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 65

When and at what height to cut pvc toilet drain line in concrete basement floor?

I am about to prime and level the floor in my new basement bathroom in preparation for installing ceramic tile. I have a 4" pvc pipe stubbed out (with a 4' metal rod taped to it, which I have removed).

What I am wondering is, when and at what height should I cut the pvc drain pipe? Should I cut it off flush to the concrete floor (pretty sure the answer is no)? Or, do I prime/level the floor and then cut it off flush? Or, do I prime/level the floor, then set a piece of tile in as a spacer and cut it off at that height? Or, do I just prime, level, install tile (maybe notching where the screws will go?), and then cut it off flush with the top of the tile?

In all cases, I will be using a stainless steel ring and using tapcon screws to hold it down.

As a secondary question: the concrete around the pipe is a bit uneven. Should I chip the concrete away around the pipe first to make it a little smoother?

Thanks!

ToHellWithUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,926

Me myself and I would just go ahead and cut the 4 inch flush with the floor and install the flange with primer and glue at this time. Then secure it with tapcons making sure they are not overly long to penetrate any underground piping.

You should just tile directly to your concrete with grey thin set. You will need to smooth the floor out before tiling.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-09-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Me myself and I would just go ahead and cut the 4 inch flush with the floor and install the flange with primer and glue at this time. Then secure it with tapcons making sure they are not overly long to penetrate any underground piping.

You should just tile directly to your concrete with grey thin set. You will need to smooth the floor out before tiling.
Thanks for the quick response, Ghostmaker! It seems like it would be easier to just install the flange now rather than after the tile, but much of what I read online suggests putting the flange on top of the tile. Do you know what the reasoning/logic for doing that is?

Also, you mentioned using grey thinset. I have white (modified) leftover from my kitchen install, and planned to use it. Should I get the grey stuff instead? Is there a difference (other than color and cost)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

we allow the tile to be set around pipe ...then we cut it off and glue a 4x3 hub closet flange inside 4" pipe and anchor...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
we allow the tile to be set around pipe ...then we cut it off and glue a 4x3 hub closet flange inside 4" pipe and anchor...
Thanks! But, if you were doing both (tile and plumbing), what would you do? Is there an advantage to having the pipe cut flush with the tile and then installing the flange?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

if i was doing it i would set flange on top of tile....because if flange is flush with tile you may need to use 2 wax rings or a jumbo wax ring allowing more space between flange and commode...which could be prone to leak
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
if i was doing it i would set flange on top of tile....because if flange is flush with tile you may need to use 2 wax rings or a jumbo wax ring allowing more space between flange and commode...which could be prone to leak
Ok, I see, good point. What about the option of using a piece of tile to estimate the height and cutting the drain pipe at that height now (before installing tile)? It seems that it would be easier to cut now than after the tile is installed, if I had the choice (or, maybe less likely to damage the installed tile).

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

found this image don't know where and for what reason but i think we had a dispute with an inspector somewhere... I know this will open a can of worms but can anyone recall if this is a picture from a code book anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
When and at what height to cut pvc toilet drain line in concrete basement floor?-2004-12-20_closet-flange-mount_w550.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,926

Not in my code. The only problem I have is drilling through the tile. The risk of cracking it were not worth a 69 cent jumbo wax ring.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-09-2015), oh'mike (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellWithUGA View Post
Ok, I see, good point. What about the option of using a piece of tile to estimate the height and cutting the drain pipe at that height now (before installing tile)? It seems that it would be easier to cut now than after the tile is installed, if I had the choice (or, maybe less likely to damage the installed tile).

Thanks again for all the feedback!
been doing it this way for almost 40 yrs now never had a problem with breaking tile....but you have the options its your choice..they all will work work
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

just my 2 cents

wait to cut the riser until after the tile is installed. You can guesstimate the thickness but how do you figure the thinset? Just wait. You will have a more solid install.

as to cutting the pipe after the tile is set: an inside pipe cutter (ask the plumbers what they are actually called) basically a toothed wheel you chuck up in a drill.

drilling tile; can be a pita. Somebody told me these work great:

obviously NOT to be used with a hammer/impact drill

I also saw some bits that are basically small core drills. 6mm was one that I saw.

Last edited by nap; 02-09-2015 at 06:07 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
obviously NOT to be used with a hammer/impact drill
Ha ha, found this out the hard way when I tried to cut my faucet hole (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes):

The Following User Says Thank You to ToHellWithUGA For This Useful Post:
nap (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Plumber

Rewards Points: 240

I tend to use flange spacers more and more as I like to have my flanges set during rough in
Slip one under the flange and bingo- your flange is as if it's sitting on tile except you're anchoring to concrete or wood.
ben's plumbing (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I tend to use flange spacers more and more as I like to have my flanges set during rough in
Slip one under the flange and bingo- your flange is as if it's sitting on tile except you're anchoring to concrete or wood.
Ok, so, in this case, I would leave the drain line uncut (or cut it a little long?), and just cut the tile a little bigger than the flange when I install it?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

To avoid drilling the tile----cut the pipe to the tile height---set the flange loosely in place---then ,notch the tile ,as you set it, to allow your screws to miss the tile---

With that bit of advice---I am with Ghostmaker---I tile around the flange--and use a jumbo wax ring---
Advertisement