What Is This Corrosion From? Cellar Shut Off Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 304

What is this corrosion from? Cellar shut off valve

Looked up and noticed this valve has a build up of corrosion on it. To me, it looks like the acid build up we used to see on car battery terminals.

I think you can see the valve and the build up well in these photos. What does NOT show up as well is the "bulge" in the pipe. This pipe has never frozen (to my knowledge) and that is the only reason I know of for that sort of bulge.

This won't be a DIY project, but I would like to understand what is going on, and how to explain to my plumber what he needs to bring with him.

Oh, and usually my plumber LOVES to remove copper pipe and replace it with PVC. Not sure he can do that in this case? I guess there will be the new lever sort of valve installed.

This house is being prepped for sale, I have already moved out; in case that makes any difference to replies.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What is this corrosion from?  Cellar shut off valve-ri-pipe-1-.jpg   What is this corrosion from?  Cellar shut off valve-ri-pipe-2-.jpg   What is this corrosion from?  Cellar shut off valve-ri-pipe-3-.jpg   What is this corrosion from?  Cellar shut off valve-ri-pipe-4-.jpg  
Freedomsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Looks to me the solder joint has developed a slow leak. If the leak is slow enough, the liquid water evaporates and leaves behind mineral deposits. The bulge is probably just the way the valve was manufactured.

Copper can be replaced with CPVC, though I would consider it a bit of a hack job. I'd rather see a new brass valve soldered in or with compression fittings, personally. If he does install CPVC though, he needs to electrically bond the two sections of copper with a ground wire and clamps.

Last edited by tylernt; 06-22-2015 at 03:49 PM.
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,960

Should have been a ball valve not a gate valve. Gate valves almost never shut off after a few years.
Someone left the flex on the fittings causing the corrosion.
PVC should never be used inside a house, copper, CPVC or Pex only.
tylernt (06-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

My mistake . . . I do not know CPVC vs. PVC. No, the stuff he put in to replace copper was the right stuff. That was a job he did about a year back.

OK so I need to tell him to come prepared with a ball valve and copper piping to replace what is gone bad. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

No need for a plumber. Just wash that off with a vinegar solution and your wife's toothbrush so it looks pretty. The bulge is the normal configuration of the valve body.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
tylernt (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

Being a single female, I don't HAVE a wife, lol.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomsand View Post
Being a single female, I don't HAVE a wife, lol.
That's what happens when I try to throw some humor in. But no point replacing that valve if it's not leaking. Most buyers don't care what kind of valves they have and there is no reason to replace your gate valves before selling the place. They are very commonly used and perfectly acceptable. Good luck.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
tylernt (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

Ha haaa thank you. I will take an old toothbrush with me next trip there, and clean it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedomsand For This Useful Post:
tylernt (06-23-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement