What Is This Connection? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

What is this Connection?

Hi all,

In the process of redoing a half bath in my basement. The plumbing is all twisted up and runs through this odd looking connector piece. I haven't come across anything like this in my old house or any other house I've been in. It does appear as if there's some form of grounding mechanism since there's a wire arched over the connection, why is this?

Is this worth replacing, I don't mind the cosmetic portion of it for now, just functionality. If I were to replace it though, what are my options?

Thanks in advance, pictures are below:

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/mbr...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/mbr...tml?sort=3&o=0
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,222

I agree with you, looks like some sort of grounding wire or tracer wire if coming in from outside. In older homes they grounding everything to the water pipes.

If it's a grounding wire, and it's grounding your electrical, definitely replace it unless you had your electrical redone and it's grounded to the earth differently.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I agree with you, looks like some sort of grounding wire or tracer wire if coming in from outside. In older homes they grounding everything to the water pipes.

If it's a grounding wire, and it's grounding your electrical, definitely replace it unless you had your electrical redone and it's grounded to the earth differently.
I'm planning to have the electrical panel replaced

This won't be until I save up a few grand though, for now, the main panel is unearthed. However, this water connection is right in the middle of the house.

My questions are, Why is there a need for a jumper wire? This connection is loose and not affixed to the ground other than basic contact. Does it need to be affixed? What do I replace all of this with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,222

Just a guess; There are unions on both sides where it's jumpered, maybe a water meter or something was there at one point. Something like the one pictured below and they jumpered around it.

If you're going too replace everything just make sure you ground your current electrical to the water pipe going out to the main. Depending on your location and electrical code, if you are going to be using pex or non metal piping to the curb you will need to install two 9 foot ground rods and ground to both of them.

When you rewire, the electrician will ground it to code.

Make sure the proper permits are pulled when redoing plumbing and electrical and work is inspected. Just a suggestion.

Good luck on your project mbrando. Hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by jmon; 02-14-2016 at 07:09 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,670

It looks like there could have been a water meter in there at one time. If there was then it is a required jumper per electrical code to jumper the meter and maintain the ground when the meter is removed.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Just a guess; There are unions on both sides where it's jumpered, maybe a water meter or something was there at one point. Something like the one pictured below and they jumpered around it.

If you're going too replace everything just make sure you ground your current electrical to the water pipe going out to the main. Depending on your location and electrical code, if you are going to be using pex or non metal piping to the curb you will need to install two 9 foot ground rods and ground to both of them.

When you rewire, the electrician will ground it to code.

Make sure the proper permits are pulled when redoing plumbing and electrical and work is inspected. Just a suggestion.

Good luck on your project mbrando. Hope everything works out for you.

My current water meter is at the very front of the house, and is jumpered as well. I don't see any stakes so how would I drive these through the concrete floor? Also, are you saying that this section of piping that runs down to the floor is probably not even needed? It runs down to the floor from the supply, then back up to the basement ceiling, rather pointless if you ask me other than the grounding part. The jumper wire isn't connected to anything else and theres no visible electric connected to the piping.

If there is electrical connected to this somewhere, wouldn't replacing this section with continuous copper piping act the same as the jumper would? The electric would have a continuous path along the copper?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It looks like there could have been a water meter in there at one time. If there was then it is a required jumper per electrical code to jumper the meter and maintain the ground when the meter is removed.
That's the only thing this reminded me of, although as I said this is located about 30 feet away from the water entrance to the house, why would they put the meter there? The current meter is located right where the supply line enters the house. Would you say I could remove this section and replace with continuous copper piping?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

There is no meter now. It may have been there at one time.

When/if you redo the plumbing then you can eliminate it.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
There is no meter now. It may have been there at one time.

When/if you redo the plumbing then you can eliminate it.
Thanks! This is what was scaring me away from replacement. I might as well go ahead and redo this section while the walls are out. Since literally all the water for my house runs through this rusty pipe. One last question, will I need to re-earth the new piping? In other words make it touch the ground in the same spot?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The new piping should be bonded to your panel. That only needs to be done where it enters the house.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
The new piping should be bonded to your panel. That only needs to be done where it enters the house.
This area is 30 ft away from the panel. But the panel does not appear bonded to the piping where the new meter is. How do I go about doing this?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
Super Moderator

You should post this over in the electrical forum. Add your location. I think you probably need a #6 green or bare from the panel to the point where the pipe enters the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , connector , ground , plumbing