Wet Vent Length - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Wet vent length

Hello, I'm planning to lay out my new bathroom plumbing using the allowed horizontal wet venting configuration. The vertical vent will be from the vanity, the shower will connect into it a few feet downstream, and that will connect to the toilet line a couple feet further. I know normal venting allows the vent to be a maximum of 8' away from the trap on 2" pipe pitched at 1/4 inch per foot. My question is do the "lengths" for wet vents only include the length it takes to get to the horizontal wet vent, or doe it include the length of all the piping it takes to get back to the dry vent? I would think it would only be the portion of pipe it takes to connect to the horizontal wet vent since the 2 pipes are pitched independently of one another, not collectively.
drfeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,942

Re: Wet vent length

From the vanity sink with the vertical vent to the toilet the wet vent limit is unlimited.
You are confusing your code. The 8 foot limit you are referring to is trap to vent distance. That means Vent point to trap.

A wet vent is based on oversized pipe and the vent runs it's entire length.

Vanity has vent
Shower tie in point to vanity wet vent is the vent point
Shower trap can be 8 foot from that tie in point.
Water closet {Toilet} is unlimited distance to its vent so nothing applies there.

Your pipe from shower tie in to toilet must be 2 inch. From there to a single vanity sink 1.5 " and vent vanity must be within 40 foot out the roof or tied into a larger vent pipe.

Use wyes on the tie in to the shower and the toilet. Use a sanitary tee vertical on the single lav.

If 2 sinks all must be 2 inch and if vent out roof is over 40 foot it must be 2 inch.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks,

I plan to use 2" pipe for everything up to where it ties into the toilet drain where it will be 3", and then 4" a few feet after that going out the basement wall. The vanity will have 2 sinks, so you're saying I need to use 2" drains from these sinks? no problem if so but I was planning 1.5 inch drains and p traps leading to a 2" double sanitary tee that would form the common drain for both and the vent up from that. are you also saying that if the vent is less than 40 feet from the vanity it can be 1.5 inches?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,942

Run 2 inch on the drain portion to your vanity sinks. The vent can be 1.5 inch since your under 40 foot out roof.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

Thanks,

Just to be clear, since it will be a double sink vanity, can the p-trap from each sink be 1.5 inch, and then 2" where they connect to each other and begin the drain/wet vent portion? it would seem OK since each sink would only be seeing its own flow. I would be happy to run 2" p-traps from each sink if necessary, I just want to be clear.

Thanks for your patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement