Wet Basement. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Wet basement.

When we get rain and wind from the south our basement gets a puddle in the southwest corner that is about 8 feet from the wall. I talked to the previous owner who built the house and he felt the drain around the foundation was clogged. He told me where he thought it ended in the yard. I tried to find it by digging in the yard and couldn't find it. I did find stone dust but no drain. I also noticed that my sump crock will have water in it when we have wet ground outside. So I gave up looking for the drain and focused on the sump. I installed a pump and cleaned it out. It has a bottom. At this point I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
raidencmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,242

Water problems in a basement are often associated with landscaping. The soil settles next to the foundation and/or shrubs and sidewalks prevent good surface drainage. Obviously I can't see your house so I'm just covering the typical issues.

In addition, gutters and leaders need to direct the roof runoff well away from where it can get back and be part of the problem, 10' is an often quoted number.

You said the water was out away from the walls, any indication where it entered?

Tell us more about the outside ground slope away from the house.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
throrope (02-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

All gutters are extended out from the house. I think they were about 10 feet from the house. The house is on a hill. Also landscaping is graded away from the house. The puddle simply starts as a little drop in center of floor and gets bigger. It is coming through the concrete floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 276

My dad put an external 4" terracotta perimeter french drain around the house I grew up in and extended the gravity discharge about 100 ft to a location out back that dropped below the basement. He later regretted the terracotta which if not installed perfect can attract roots that eventually clog the pipe. Once in a while the fall leaves would clog the discharge and we would find rain water backing up. You may have to search to the property line.

We had an 80 year old twin with water issues. Landscaping contributed. The solution we pursued was a professional water proofing contractor. They knocked an 18" or so channel around the perimeter wall likely 18" deep and set a perforated pipe encased in stone and finished in concrete to match the floor. The install included weep screening and other features. The pipe discharged below the floor to a sump pit with submersible pump that discharged to grade. Twenty years ago the job cost $2500. I thought that was a bargain and to the sales guy's surprise, took it without question. When done I'm glad I did because it was one bugger of a job and that stone was hauled down steps in 5 gallon buckets by strong backs.

The next owner complained to the old neighbor the pump ran near continuously. He clued then into the backward grade along the outside walk that was later corrected.
throrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 28

Is it near a tree? Sometimes tree roots can get into the foundation..Water damage can be a tricky thing to tackle
giterrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #6

No trees near the foundation. I think I some how need to find where the drain is supposed to exit the ground. The previous owner explained where he thought it was. That was 7 years after he built the house. I guess we are just going to start digging in the spring.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,290

Don't forget, the perimeter drain pipe should be below the level of the basement floor.

It could be just inside the foundation as opposed to just outside.

But in the process of excavating to install or replace the drain pipe, you must not excavate against the wall and below the level of the bottoms of the foundation footings.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #8

What do you mean by "It could be just inside the foundation as opposed to just outside?" Also I have installed a sump pump in the crock. I then drilled 3 holes. One is about 6 inches below the basement floor and I hit concrete. The next is a bit lower and found rock. The last is about 3 inches lower and hit dirt. They are all an 8th of an inch so I can plug them. Just wanted to see what if anything came out of them. So far nothing.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
When we get rain and wind from the south our basement gets a puddle in the southwest corner that is about 8 feet from the wall. I talked to the previous owner who built the house and he felt the drain around the foundation was clogged. He told me where he thought it ended in the yard. I tried to find it by digging in the yard and couldn't find it. I did find stone dust but no drain. I also noticed that my sump crock will have water in it when we have wet ground outside. So I gave up looking for the drain and focused on the sump. I installed a pump and cleaned it out. It has a bottom. At this point I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Do you have a blueprint of your current house?
cmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

No blueprints.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 82

I see. It's very hard to find that without the blueprint.
cmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorales View Post
I see. It's very hard to find that without the blueprint.
After talking to him I find it hard to believe it's on the blueprint. But the fact that I found stone dust is promising. I'll find it. Its my new goal in life.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 28

I was googling around and saw this resource

http://www.americancustomcontractors...-water-damage/
giterrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,290

How many 3 to 4 inch pipes dump into the sump pump pit? You might have someone do a video test to see if there are any blockages although it is possible that the video device might not go around the basement corners,

Where are you digging?

Try digging one hole up against the foundation roughly 1/3 of the distance starting from where the puddle inside is over to the sump pump pit Dig all the way down to the foundation footing exposing the side of the footing. Then dig a 12 x 12 x 6 inch deep hole farther down. (Such a small hole below the bottom of the footings won't cause the footings to collapse.) You should be sure to find the perimeter drain pipe (if there is one outside) here.

If you found the perimeter drain pipe before you got down this far then the perimeter drain pipe is not good enough to protect the basement floor from flooding.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-16-2016 at 12:14 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
How many 3 to 4 inch pipes dump into the sump pump pit? You might have someone do a video test to see if there are any blockages although it is possible that the video device might not go around the basement corners,

Where are you digging?

Try digging one hole up against the foundation roughly 1/3 of the distance starting from where the puddle inside is over to the sump pump pit Dig all the way down to the foundation footing exposing the side of the footing. Then dig a 12 x 12 x 6 inch deep hole farther down. (Such a small hole below the bottom of the footings won't cause the footings to collapse.) You should be sure to find the perimeter drain pipe (if there is one outside) here.

If you found the perimeter drain pipe before you got down this far then the perimeter drain pipe is not good enough to protect the basement floor from flooding.
There are not any pipes connected to the sump. It is simply a pit with no opening other then the top. About 2 foot deep and 18 inches diameter. The majority of my basement is below grade. The previous owner said that the drain around the foundation was connected and then they graded up to the house. So if you were standing right next to the foundation and began walking away you would eventually be below the bottom of the basement. Somewhere straight off of the corner of the house below the bottom of the basement should be a drain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement