Well Water Management/Treatment Equipment Design - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 269

Well Water Management/Treatment Equipment Design

Hello,

I am building a dedicated water utility room and upgrading all of the well water management/treatment equipment. I will also be building a 20000 gallon water harvesting system in another few years. My understanding of the basics is good, so I could install what I needed for functionality right now. However, I would be interested in looking at new technologies and/or luxury systems along theses lines.

Can anyone suggest any web sites and/or products that I should look into? Google is only as good as the search criteria that you put into it and maybe I am not giving it enough information to help me.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Zeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,316

Ayuh,.... So just how Bad is yer well water,.....

We drink ours, right outa the well,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
del schisler (07-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... So just how Bad is yer well water,.....
We drink ours, right outa the well,....

The hardness is at 30 grains, with barely under the acceptable levels of arsenic. So, I already have water softening equipment and plan to buy a dedicated arsenic filter.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Level of Arsenic?
Whole house Arsenic removal? for the Toilet?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Level of Arsenic?
Whole house Arsenic removal? for the Toilet?

I have been able to isolate the toilets and washing machine onto separate pumping. As I upgraded the home with communication wiring, I also took the chance to route PEX line.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Water Treatment

So your looking at arsenic media for under 10ppb?

Are you going to make sure that ALL the Food and Drink that you buy is Arsenic Free?

Remove the arsenic from the water but still using food and drink with arsenic does what in the long run?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Remove the arsenic from the water but still using food and drink with arsenic does what in the long run?

Thanks for your concern with my family's arsenic exposure safety, but lets get back on topic and move on. The purpose of my post was to investigate the trends in well water management/treatment technology.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Water Treatment

Depending on Where your going to be harvesting the water from and what could be in that water as to type of equipment that will be needed to turn it into potable water.

I was asking a question that more people should be asking rather than taking the words of the Feds and State.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,130

I think the current state-of-the-art process for water purification is reverse osmosis. As an engineer for a defense contractor, I worked with, and trained Marines on, a tactical system that could produce 1500 gallons per hour of potable water from seawater. Some of those systems were also used after Japan's Fukushima nuclear disaster to clean up radioactively contaminated water. For microbial contaminants, a UV system is quite effective - I have one in my house.

I have no direct experience with consumer RO equipment, but do know it's quite expensive.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I think the current state-of-the-art process for water purification is reverse osmosis. As an engineer for a defense contractor, I worked with, and trained Marines on, a tactical system that could produce 1500 gallons per hour of potable water from seawater. Some of those systems were also used after Japan's Fukushima nuclear disaster to clean up radioactively contaminated water. For microbial contaminants, a UV system is quite effective - I have one in my house. I have no direct experience with consumer RO equipment, but do know it's quite expensive.

Not that I need it, but I have been watching the technology to transform seawater into potable water for a few years. The more experimentation, the more innovation, and ultimately the more affordability for all. Thanks for being one of the ones expanding this horizon for the whole planet.

While we are talking about water management technology trends, I use a product named SiteSage to monitor my water usage. It uses flowmeters that are connected to the Internet and provides several data options. I can see exactly what well water comes in, what grey water goes out, what my storage tank capacity is, text alerts for various conditions, and more. Just like SiteSage's electrical monitoring, I have been able to identify where wastefulness occurs and make our usage more efficient.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,596

Speaking of wastefulness, the single handle showers and tub shower combo's I find at some of my kids homes is running a close second to all the pre 1.6 gal. toilets. I don't have a single handle and never will.

With the combo tub shower, when the water finally gets to a comfortable temperature, I've discovered a way to keep the shower head water from slamming me against the back wall or blowing my eye balls from their sockets. The flow from the shower head in GPM can be adjusted by dumping 2/3 of the water out the tub spout. If someone has a more resourceful way to regulate this I'm all ears.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigh View Post
Thanks for being one of the ones expanding this horizon for the whole planet.
Thanks, but there was very little altruism about it. When we were "involved" in Iraq and Afghanistan, there were many thousands of troops in both places. While a relatively small percentage of them required weapons, bullets or bombs, every single one required water (and lots of it). Because it's bulky, heavy (over 8 lbs per gallon), and actually has a shelf life, shipping it from America was insanely expensive (around $50 per gallon). Easier, and ultimately cheaper, to produce what was needed in-country. On a smaller scale, the military had already been doing it for years. Google ROWPU (Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit) or TWPS (Tactical Water Purification System) if you're interested.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Speaking of wastefulness, the single handle showers and tub shower combo's I find at some of my kids homes is running a close second to all the pre 1.6 gal. toilets. I don't have a single handle and never will.
I don't understand. In what way is a single handle wasteful?

Quote:
a way to keep the shower head water from slamming me against the back wall or blowing my eye balls from their sockets.
I don't understand. Modern showerheads are limited by law to 1.5 to 2.5 GPM. The most common complaint is not enough flow from the showerhead.

Quote:
If someone has a more resourceful way to regulate this I'm all ears.
Sure, one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Huntington-16-...2TBGSRTWQ94JD0
Attached Images

Advertisement