Well, Softener, And Filter Question. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Well, softener, and filter question.

Here's my setup. Well pump through a softener and into a holding tank. Shallow well pump and pressure tank draws from holding tank to the house. The water softener died and I want to replace it soon but I was wondering where the softener should be. After or before the 500 gallon tank. Obvious a filter before the softener, but also before the tank?

I'm looking at a 30 micron filter before the softener, and a fleck 4800 water softener.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
VaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,446

Re: Well, softener, and filter question.

I would go with tank first because it acts to stop any sediment from the other equipment down stream as long as the sediment has a specific gravity greater than water. Then filter then softener.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 AM   #3

Well, I hadn't even thought of a sediment issue. Which is complicated because there is no drain at the bottom of the tank so definitely want the filter before the holding tank. But what about softener? After holding tank? And here's another question, should I have a finer filter after the pump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

What is the water quality? any iron ? hardness?
Often I would do the softener before the tank as to keeping the tank clean and depending on the softener used there would a no hard water bypass piston or some thing like that with the softener or iron filter so as to keeping the iron out of the tank.
Then there is the pump after the tank to pressure the water for the house.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 12,228

Do flow rates through a softener restrict the fill time on the tank and what is coming out of the well pump?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #6

Yes, it does reduce flow rate, but the purpose of the holding tank between to the pump and house is to allow a low flow pump or shallow well time to refill the tank between usage.

Our last test was pretty normal on elements and turbidity. Moderately high on hardness because of a non functioning softener. I just want to help the new softener last, and keep the 70 year old piping flowing.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 12,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
Yes, it does reduce flow rate, but the purpose of the holding tank between to the pump and house is to allow a low flow pump or shallow well time to refill the tank between usage.

Our last test was pretty normal on elements and turbidity. Moderately high on hardness because of a non functioning softener. I just want to help the new softener last, and keep the 70 year old piping flowing.
I was actually asking in reference to putting the softener before the pressure tank.

I aware of the job of the pressure tank. Just wondering if putting the softener upstream of that would cause an issue with fill rates or actually well pressure causing and issue for the softener as well.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #8

No, the holding tank is not under pressure. Yes, there is a pressure tank after the booster pump but the booster pump pulls from a 500 gallon water tank. The water tank is fed from the well pump.

The current configuration is well pump, 35gl pressure tank, water softener, 500gl holding tank, booster pump, 40gl pressure tank, house. I was originally asking where to put softener but I think people have agree with where it is now. I might just add a filter before the softener to protect it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement