Well Problem Pump Or Pressure Switch? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Well Problem Pump or Pressure switch?

I have a submerge pump in my well. The problem is I lose pressure to my house and I go and check the well and the pump is not running. There is switch at well for pump and turn it on and off and then it comes on and I have pressure and water. When my Blue Pressure tank is empty then I lose pressure and the pump does not come on. So I turn it off and on and it comes on and stays on. Not sure if it always stayed on and did this or if this a new problem.
Is this a pressure switch problem? Also I get lots of air coming when I do have water pressure. I check the air pressure in my Blue Pressure tank and it is good.
Thank you in advance.
volleybiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: Well Problem Pump or Pressure switch?

Quote:
Is this a pressure switch problem?
No.
The switch that you are turning off and then back on is most likely defective. Its' contact points are most likely pitted or corroded. Replace but examine it carefully. It is most likely a 240 volt switch.

Quote:
Also I get lots of air coming when I do have water pressure
To me that indicates that you may have a ruptured line between the pump and the house. The pump at the bottom of the well should have a check valve that prevents water in the pipe from draining back down the well when the pump shuts off. If you have a ruptured line the water in the pipe will be coming out when the pump is running. When the pump shuts off the water in the pipe will drain out and be replaced by air. When the pump comes back on the air in the pipe will be pushed into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybiggs View Post
I have a submerge pump in my well. The problem is I lose pressure to my house and I go and check the well and the pump is not running. There is switch at well for pump and turn it on and off and then it comes on and I have pressure and water. When my Blue Pressure tank is empty then I lose pressure and the pump does not come on. So I turn it off and on and it comes on and stays on. Not sure if it always stayed on and did this or if this a new problem.
Is this a pressure switch problem? Also I get lots of air coming when I do have water pressure. I check the air pressure in my Blue Pressure tank and it is good.on,
Thank you in advance.
so the pressure in blue tank is? & Just to be clear, how are you turning off/on switch? do you mean there is a external toggle arm on the side of the well pressure switch you are operating to turn off/on?
is there a pressure gauge on tank manifold & or near switch? without water pressure does it read 0 psi? and when you get well pump to cycle back on; you are stating pump stays on - do you mean the pump runs constantly and doesn't cycle off?

hopefully there is an isolation valve in water piping at tank manifold or past manifold, that will isolate pump & tank from the piping supplying house; if so you can test to see if there is a pressure leak in your system...if no VALVE on piping from well pump; is there an isolation valve where water enters house? CLOSE appropriate ISOLATION VALVE

activate switch so when pump cycles on/running, what does your pressure gage build up to & what becomes highest reading? Assuming pump cycles off, what is pressure reading with pump at rest? without opening any faucets & or using water, does this static reading stay steady or is it dropping?

WITH ISOLATION VALVE STILL CLOSED, if pressure is dropping while pump is off, does reading drop back to 0? or does pump cycle back on at a certain pressure reading? If so what is this reading when pump cycles back on ?

WITH ISOLATION VALVE STILL CLOSED, If pressure reading stays constant, does pump continue to run constantly, or does it cycle off?
if pump runs constantly for at least 10 minutes, what is highest pressure reading? turn off pump power & see if pressure continues to stay steady or dropping. At this point, if pressure drops back to 0 with isolation valve closed, leave pump power off...

WITH ISOLATION VALVE STILL CLOSED, If pump cycles off & stays off and pressure stays constant for 10 minutes, re-open that closed isolation valve and observe pressure reading... is pressure still reading steady or dropping? if pressure now dropping again, re-close same isolation valve to verify no more pressure loss.... report your findings.

depending on readings, this test could also determine if your problem is actually the pressure switch.

What are outside temps where you are ?
how is pump house protected from cold weather?

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,226

Ayuh,... Is yer pump a 2 wire, or 3 wire submersible pump,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement