Well Maintenance - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 590

Well maintenance

I have well water with the type of well where you only see a white pipe sticking out of the ground. The water line goes underground from the well to the crawlspace where it meets 2 sealed tanks. One tank is a pressure tank and not sure about the other one. I know standard wells require salt and other maintenance but what about mine? I can't access anything really so what should I be doing and how often?
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,694

Re: Well maintenance

Wells do not require salt. A water softener requires salt and can be installed on any water system well or city water.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
I have well water with the type of well where you only see a white pipe sticking out of the ground. The water line goes underground from the well to the crawlspace where it meets 2 sealed tanks. One tank is a pressure tank and not sure about the other one. I know standard wells require salt and other maintenance but what about mine? I can't access anything really so what should I be doing and how often?
nothing, its a submersible pump, just keep the pressure switch dry and free from corrosion, usually by the big tank in the crawl space..you could have 2 pressure tanks, a pic would show what they are..
goobertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

They probably are both pressure tanks. The blue tank has a pressure Guage on it and the other one doesn't. I'll get a picture when I get home. I have fairly hard water (toilets and showers turn an orangish color). Should I get a softener?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 106

orange could be sulfur or iron in the water, how does the water suds up with soap? if it doesnt then its a sign of hard water..
goobertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Never paid attention but it is hard to get rags soapy some times. We also get white build up (calcium?) On the shower walls and glass door that can't be scrubbed off.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 18,808

Need to get the water tested to know what type treatment you may need.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,124

I wish I'd had the well tested.
https://www.epa.gov/privatewells
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #9

We don't drink the water typically from the tap. We have a filter for the refrigerator water for drinking except the few times my daughter drinks from her bathroom faucet. I'll get some water test kits. Our hot water sometimes has a sulfuric smell to it but it's been that way since we bought the house and only happens when we don't use the water for a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikeman For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #10

I tested the water and all was good except alkalinity which was high. I most closely matched the color for 180 on the pH strip.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Your well is of the Pitless Adapter style and evidently my driller didn't know about these years ago when he drilled my well or mine would be just like yours.

Most often the PVC cap can be removed and the adapter can be seen which will be just below frost depth for your area. As for actual well maintenance, sanitizing the well directly with bleach or the softener for treating the water after the well is mostly your options. With alkaline water a softener has benefits.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Your well is of the Pitless Adapter style and evidently my driller didn't know about these years ago when he drilled my well or mine would be just like yours.

Most often the PVC cap can be removed and the adapter can be seen which will be just below frost depth for your area. As for actual well maintenance, sanitizing the well directly with bleach or the softener for treating the water after the well is mostly your options. With alkaline water a softener has benefits.
I'm not an expert except in bad wells. Our well last year was contaminated by Coliform bacteria( includes, E.Coli, Shigella, etc.) but it was near all kinds of animal manure, and apparently cracked. We endured the very strong bleach the water experts ( different from the well experts) put in to sanitize, but it leaked out. The well was considered unable to be sanitized. Even the irradiation system available, didn't work well on hard water. They only tested for bacteria. Other possible contaminants were petroleum products and toxins in the groundwater.

I'm sure there are well-experts near you.

Last edited by Nik333; 03-25-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,814

OP - you do realize that filters only remove particulate. Chemically, the water at the kitchen sink and the fridge are the same. I don't know if commercial water test kits test for potability (safety) such as bacteria. If not you should test for that as well. Your local health unit may provide that service. They (and/or the Interweb) should also have the sanitizing procedure which isn't a bad idea anyway every couple of years.

Nik - Yikes! Critters too close to your well? The bleach didn't "leak out". It was put in to sanitize the well and components. If the bacterial load is high enough the bleach will only be effective for so long. I don't know if there is a way to remediate your well. It may depend on whether it is dug or drilled. A lot may depend if it's surface contamination (if so maybe there is a way to seal it) or if the contamination is in the ground water itself. You may need a new well in a different location. Either way, it ain't gonna be cheap.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement