Well Drill Running Constantly - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Well Drill Running Constantly

Bought a house 6 months ago with a well, so this is new to me.

The well had been running (drilling) every time I ran water. I called a well service company, they came out, flushed it, and re-pressurized it. He said that would fix the problem. Hoping it would fix the problem, even after 6 weeks, is has made no difference.

I called him back, and he said it just needs to be done again. This doesn't make sense to me, and I would think he either did a poor job last time, or perhaps there is another issue.

FYI the pressure reads at 55 on the tank. Any thoughts on what could be going on? Attached are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Well Drill Running Constantly-img_3021-convertimage.jpg   Well Drill Running Constantly-img_3020-convertimage.jpg  
arminius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Well Drill Running Constantly

I have never heard the term "drilling" used to refer to a pump running. Is this some sort of UK word?

As to the pump constantly running, that is a real puzzle. Even if the pressure tank in the picture (the steel tank) is completely full of water, the pump should only run as it pressurizes the system to the high setting on your pump control switch. My well is set to pressurize to 60 psi, then it turns off, and the pump comes back on when the pressure falls to 40 psi. The purpose of the tank is to store 20 or so gallons of pressurized water, which allows the system to stay pressurized while the 20 or so gallons drains out. This typically takes at least five minutes, even if you are running water, so the pump does not cycle too frequently.

Most of the tank is supposed to be filled with air. Over time, the air can dissolve in the water, and you lose air. Then you need to pressurize the system by adding air through a valve, which is probably what your technician did. Once pressurized, the pump should stop cycling. But even if there were no air in the system, the pump should shut off once the upper limit on the pressure switch is reached. So no system should run continuously.

You may have a defective tank, your technician should be able to check it. If they are unable to test the tank, get another technician.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,288

Do a draw down test. With the pump off at the 55psi pressure, run water into a container and monitor how much water is in the container when the pump turns back on.

From the appearance of the tank ( color differential line ) the tank has ran for years with less than a ideal air cushion in the top of the tank. I prefer to see a line on old tanks nearer to this one pictured.

Tank pic did a 180 in between some satellites somewhere and I get tired of screwing with constant technology change. But you get the picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigJim; 05-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Do a draw down test. With the pump off at the 55psi pressure, run water into a container and monitor how much water is in the container when the pump turns back on.

From the appearance of the tank ( color differential line ) the tank has ran for years with less than a ideal air cushion in the top of the tank. I prefer to see a line on old tanks nearer to this one pictured.

Tank pic did a 180 in between some satellites somewhere and I get tired of screwing with constant technology change. But you get the picture.
I had to download the picture and flip it three times to get it right, don't have a clue why the pictures flip like that.

My thoughts on the pump running like that is it is bleeding back into the well, there has to be some type of valve that prevents that and IMHO it isn't working and needs replacing.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
My thoughts on the pump running like that is it is bleeding back into the well,
Shortly after buying the property where the pressure tank pic is located, a hole developed in the galvanized pipe where it screwed into the submerged pump. Ran constantly producing 15lbs. pressure.

I don't know how I would ever forget that.
BigJim likes this.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 46

I had a tank like that too. It doesnt have a bladder in it. You will need to periodically repressurise it, or replace the tank
Lanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 898

I think you need a new tank. It's probably loosing pressure, that's why it worked for a little while after it was serviced.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 264

Also, the tank only feels really cold on bottom 1/3 of it. So guessing that is where the water is at.
arminius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 18,952

If I was buying a home and saw that old tank, old galvanized plumbing I would have deducted the cost to replace all of it off the selling price.
That old a tank has to has pin holes in it by now.
Galvanised pipe will leak 100% of the time at some point and close up on the inside to reduce flow.
Bondo and BIG Johnson like this.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
FYI the pressure reads at 55 on the tank. Any thoughts on what could be going on? Attached are some pics.

Open a faucet then go down and watch the pressure gauge. Does it go up and down real fast? Switching the pump off and on (extreme short-cycling)?

If so you need a new tank. Most likely. I don't know why the well guy didn't fix it properly 6 weeks ago.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #11

Unless the tank is rotted and leaking he does not need a new tank.
joed likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
arminius (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,692

Pictures.
This site tries to save space. Any picture that is higher than it is wide gets flipped horizontally.
Make your photo wider than they are high.

Aminius,
As Daniel said the tank is water logged. That is, it is completely full of water. There is no air in the tank. You cannot compress water. You can only compress air.
That is why the pump comes on as soon as you open a faucet. As soon as you open a faucet you relieve all the pressure and the pump comes on.

You need to drain the tank. To do that you must let some air in.

Turn off the pump. Open the drain valve. Remove that fitting in the tee after the pump switch to let air in.

Also as Daniel said, the water in the tank will over time, absorb the air in the tank so you will have to periodically repeat this procedure.

There is a valve that can eliminate this procedure. I think it is called an Air Volume Control (AVC). It is inserted in the fitting on the side of the tank. It works in conjunction with a bleeder hole in the well pipe and a check valve.

The bleeder hole lets air into the well pipe each time the pump shuts off. The next time the pump comes on, the air in the pipe is pumped into the tank. The AVC is a float valve that lets the air out until the water reaches the proper level. Thereby maintaining the proper air volume.

Talk to the well man about installing such a valve.

I should say talk to another well man about such a valve. The one that came out should have recognized the problem and advised you.
Attached Images

ZTMAN likes this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 05-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:43 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 9,408

Turn off pump. Blow down the water tank. Re pressurize it with air, so that the air pressure is 5PSIG less then the on pressure.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:09 AM   #14

You can do what these guys recommend every 6 weeks..... Or you can buy a new tank. It's up to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Wellmate-WM-9...QF5SS55W6CXHQX

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 05-21-2017 at 05:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BIG Johnson For This Useful Post:
arminius (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 9,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
You can do what these guys recommend every 6 weeks..... Or you can buy a new tank. It's up to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Wellmate-WM-9...QF5SS55W6CXHQX

Seen the old tanks only need air added once every several years. So its worth the OP giving it a try, instead of going out and buying a new tank right a way.
Advertisement

Tags
holding tank , well service