Weird Stuff On Top Of My Gas Water Heater Burner: Is That Normal? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 190

Weird stuff on top of my gas water heater burner: is that normal?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to drain my gas water heater for the first time tomorrow, so I was doing a little prep work tonight. I opened the outer door to peer inside the burner for the first time and when I used my flashlight I saw something kind of odd. I managed to get a somewhat poor picture with my cell phone, but it gives a pretty good idea... does this look normal? It seems to be working just fine, we have a good supply of hot water, but... it does look a little odd... I haven't seen it when the burner is on...

ogandou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

no this is not normal. you will get a little bit of corrosion particles on the burner over time but these look pretty big. it is usually the corrosion of the flue tube. all gas water heaters will get some. i would clean it off with a vacuum and then just watch it for a while. just check every couple of weeks. i wouldn't worry much about it unless it continues to build up.
the only sure thing with any water heater is it will leak at some point in time.
Blaine125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,468

If it were me, I would shut the gas off, take the burner out and clean it. Replace thermocouple or at least clean the carbon off it. Vacuum the combustion chamber and the filters under it as well.

As you said, everything is working fine. Just needs a really good cleaning imo. Just a suggestion.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

How old is this unit? From the corrosion and rust, it looks ancient.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 190

I believe it's from the mid-2000s... so it's not that ancient. ;-)

I don't really feel comfortable opening the burner, so I think I'll just have it serviced...
ogandou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ogandou For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement