Weird Hole In Basement Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Weird hole in basement floor

I just purchased a 100+ year old home.

I had an inspector look at the house. One of the issues I had was the fact that the laundry wash basin is not hooked into the main plumbing stack. Instead it empties directly to a hole in the corner of the basement. The hole is a metal pipe about 2" in diameter surrounded by a 3" deep depression in the cement. The depression is about 6"x6". The pipe sits about 1/2" below the top of the cement depression. As the depression fills with water, it runs into the pipe. There is always a little water in the depression. When the washtub empties, it fills the depression, which in turn drains into the pipe.

The inspector wasn't concerned about it, and said it probably empties into the ditch in front of the house. He assured me I could get the wash basin hooked into the main stack. I just needed some basic plumbing done. Fair enough.

Since then I've noticed that whenever water runs in the house I can see and hear it running through whatever is connected to the hole. I use a flashlight and can see water running directly under the pipe. I'm thinking this is tied into the main sewer line leaving the house. I don't like the idea of an open connection into the sewer sitting in my basement.

Anyone seen anything like this? Is this something that's is common in older homes? Is it an old stack that was disconnected? How do I seal it?

I'll take pictures tonight.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I think it is fairly common, my house was the same way when I moved in (the washing machine was connected to a drain that ran out onto the ground without going through the septic system). When my septic system was reconstructed, the washing machine was connected to the main sewer line in the house, but I still have an old laundry tub that runs out directly to ground below the basement. Prior to the 1960's around where I live, it was pretty common to have "grey water" flowing out onto the ground. Now it is illegal, grey water has to go through the septic system.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jmon (07-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,492

Anything is possible with 100plus year old house. No codes back then. It probably is connected maybe used for basin tub.

How about posting a picture of it so the plumbers can see it. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 270

That's exactly what I thought this was. I assumed it just emptied out to a ditch or a storm sewer. However, the fact that I can see water running under this pipe when I run sinks makes me think it's something else. I could be wrong.

I think I'm going to get some dye and see if I can trace the path of the water.

I'll post pictures.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to b-boy For This Useful Post:
jmon (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,492

There you go, good idea. Post the results. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,952

If your hearing water then it's not trapped and you may be exposed to sewer gas.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement