Water System Noise In House, Help Wanted - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Water system noise in house, help wanted

Hi everyone,

I recently noticed there is a noise coming from the water system in the house, and after searching online and I guess I can put it best as follows.

There is a big valve in the basement that controls the water into the house and there is a big meter just half a foot from it, any water coming into the house would be logged in that meter. So, if I open the value to the full extent, even though the meter is barely running(as no water is being used), I can hear a noise, and if I use my hand to grasp the pipe connected to the valve, I can feel something is going on somewhere and the noise and shake is transferred from that place to my hand through the pipeline system. I know the copper pipe and water are good media to transfer the sound and shake.

Anyway, I have been staring at the meter and it just doesn't log any water being used, or only a very tiny amount, like dripping 1 drop per 2 second, but the noise is much louder than dripping, it's like the water is being boiled, from a distance.

So, I guess the good thing is the water is not leaking badly(otherwise the meter should be logging it), but the noise is there. As soon as I turn off the big valve alongside the meter, the noise is gone. So, it comes from the water pressure being applied to certain equipment/system.

Anyone has an idea what might be wrong? I checked the heater relief valve, it's working fine, no louder noise heard near the heater either. I checked all toilets, they are fine too. The noise is coming from a more powerful source, it's like steam trying to get out of a kettle, the feel/sound is not leaking water, otherwise it should be a major blown out of water and it should be caught by the water meter logging, but it's not . Water meter only runs tiny steps, but just stand still there.

I mean, it feels like something is being pushed by the water system upstairs when I stand in the basement, but what is being shaken by water pressure, I cannot imagine anything...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

lkustb
lkustb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,454

Welcome to the forum kust.

Couple things come to mind; Pressure reducing valve (prv) possibly failing, stuck or needs adjusting and your expansion tank on your water heater. Easy things to check. May not be the problem, but you have to start somewhere.

Check your incoming water pressure at a hose bib with a water pressure gauge and pressure of your water heater expansion tank with a tire pressure gauge. Those two pressures should be close. Post results back here. Thanks.

To check pressure on expansion tank; You will have to turn off your incoming water to the water heater and relieve pressure by opening couple hot water faucets and use a tire gauge on the schrader valve at the bottom. If water comes out, it's bad and needs replacement. If pressure reads lower than incoming pressure you will need to add some air. Post results back here. Thanks.

Others will be along with more suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 08-30-2015 at 07:26 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Hi jmon,

Thank you for your reply, right now, I am 90% sure that the noise is NOT coming from the heater, but from something behind the basement wall. The previous home owner wanted to set up a sprinkling system, but it never finished.

And I know there is sump pump underground in front of the house, could it be the reason? From the fact that when the water is cut off the noise went away at one, I guess it's not from the sump pump. No water running is observed from the water meter either, the noise is like a motocycle, but with less loudness.

Strange...

lkustb
lkustb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,454

Yes, it is strange.

Do you have access to the sump pump so you can investigate a little further. Could just be a loose pipe you're hearing, motor going bad, or bad check valve. They can be noisy. Just a suggestion.

Others will be along with more suggestions.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
water noise;