Water Supply Stub Out Behind Dishwasher? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By DR P

Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Water supply stub out behind dishwasher?

As part of our kitchen renovation, we are rearranging our kitchen island to have, from left to right, a dishwasher, sink, second dishwasher, cabinet, and icemaker. The plumber located the hot and cold supply lines coming out of the slab as shown in the diagram by the red and blue circles, behind the left dishwasher. The sink drain is shown as the yellow circle (to be vented with a Studor), and the ice maker floor drain is shown as the green square. There isn't room for a 2x4 wall behind the island cabinets for plumbing/electrical; it all has to run through cabinets.

Does the location of the hot and cold supply lines behind the dishwasher look problematic? Is it important that I relocate them to come out of the slab below the sink cabinet?
Attached Images

kktalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Water supply stub out behind dishwasher?

Depending on the dishwasher you might not be able to push it all the way back. Why didn't the plumber set the feeds in the sink base?
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Paul,
Because he's the *former* plumber.

Yeah, I'm thinking clearance is a problem. Before I patch that slab, I want stubs where I want them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 74

I agree with Paul. Get the hot/cold lines up in to the back portion of the sink base. Then use two sets of these flex supply kits , one to each DW, while coming off of a chrome 3/8" compression stop from under the sink. JMO

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-8-f...nector/3190307
jlhaslip likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

If extending copper tubing under slab
they should be brazed & wrapped
just saying
Peace
TheEplumber likes this.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,608

I would take the water from under the sink where turning it off is easiest.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 708

Now is a good time to avoid future issues. Before the concrete gets poured.
Extend the lines while it is still open.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 218

Your electrical is wrong. NM cable (Romex) is not compliant for use under a slab in conduit.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 125

Code requires the plumbing disconnect for a dishawasher to be accessible. Behind the dishwasher is not. It s customary to put these in the under sink cabinet. Also, don’t most New dishwashers come with a cord set and they are to be plugged into an accessible receptacle? Usually that receptacle in under the sink cabinet as well. I may be wrong on that one.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
Code requires the plumbing disconnect for a dishawasher to be accessible. Behind the dishwasher is not. It s customary to put these in the under sink cabinet. Also, don’t most New dishwashers come with a cord set and they are to be plugged into an accessible receptacle? Usually that receptacle in under the sink cabinet as well. I may be wrong on that one.
I just installed a new Bosh DW. The cord set is considered an, "add on" option for our Bosh DW that has to be purchased separately if desired. For sure, ones local codes will dictate how the DW is to be wired. JMO
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #11

Thanks everybody. The polite version of the story is that the plumber who started this work was not chosen by me, was not instructed by me, and will not be continuing the work (same for the electrician). So I can't go back and ask him what the heck he was thinking. I need to decide what I want before I bring in someone else to bid the job. I'll take any tips on how to get someone else to come in to take over the work. Is no one going to want to touch this? Do you think I'll need to sign a waiver on warranty of work?

Before the renovation, there were two islands (hence the two slab holes). The island where the water supply stubs now had a secondary sink that then fed water to the primary sink in the other island (where the icemaker drain is). The icemaker floor drain uses the vent in the wall from the previous primary sink.

I think I want the supplies moved to come up through the sink cabinet floor, branching hot for the two dishwashers and cold for the icemaker, but the icemaker line still has to run behind the right dishwasher. I could run water to the icemaker up through the slab, but with that floor drain, there is not any room left for it to come up.

rjniles: Thanks for the tip-off about the electrical. The wiring comes up within the sink cabinet about 2" from the left back corner. It's four runs of NM-B 12/2 in that conduit. Everything you see in the pictures has passed rough plumbing and rough electrical inspections, but I live in an area where inspectors seem to be pretty lax, and I care more about doing it right than passing inspection.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,612

Jumped the gun.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement