Water Softener Drainage - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Smile

Water softener drainage

We have a water softener that drains to our front bed but it is killing all of the bushes and anything planted there. I want to re-route it to drain out the back and into our septic tank, which is an aerobic system. Is this safe and will it impair or damage the septic tank? Thanks!
tsheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,814

Re: Water softener drainage

Any of the reading I have done (admittedly not much) suggests that the brine discharge does not adversely impact the biological action of a septic system. Some argue that, because it is denser that freshwater, the brine sinks to the bottom and displaces the sludge upwards to where it may enter the tile bed.

When we had our softener replaced the installer recommended that I move the discharge from the waste line to my sump pump. I experienced no problems either way.

Some jurisdictions apparently have specific bans on discharging into septic or municipal systems.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,814

Re: Water softener drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Any of the reading I have done (admittedly not much) suggests that the brine discharge does not adversely impact the biological action of a septic system. Some argue that, because it is denser that freshwater, the brine sinks to the bottom and displaces the sludge upwards to where it may enter the tile bed.

When we had our softener replaced the installer recommended that I move the discharge from the waste line to my sump pump. I experienced no problems either way.

Some jurisdictions apparently have specific bans on discharging into septic or municipal systems.
Just a quick follow-up to my earlier comments: A couple of days ago my sump pump failed. It was 22 years old so who knows, but I did notice that apparently our water softener pulls a fair bit of iron out of our water, and the impeller base was quite encrusted. The pump ran fine, it just wouldn't pump, and I am assuming the impeller was pooched. I will do an autopsy on it to confirm one of these days, but in the meantime I plan to re-route my softener discharge.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement