Water Softener Alternatives Vs Kinetico 60? City Rebate - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 51

Water Softener alternatives vs Kinetico 60? City rebate

ISO: Water softener alternatives..

Interested in the city rebate of $700, seeing what options are there as we can tell when salt runs low.

Does the lifesource keep buildup off pipes and extend water heater life? Also heard of Pelican. We have hard water in my city....

I have a 20 year old kinetico, was installed prior to home purchase. Called and service is 3-5 years for $900-$2000 if resin tanks are needed ekkk! Does that sound right or should I shop around? Looking for options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slammed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Re: Water Softener alternatives vs Kinetico 60? City rebate

Mixed on Pelican and also the LIfesource..
Kinetico is only through a dealer and the dealer can set the prices.. that said if it is the media that needs replacing some owners have been known to replace the resin on their own...just saying on that.
Media tanks often do not go bad but can.
Just How Hard is the water? is there a test ???
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Mixed on Pelican and also the LIfesource..
Kinetico is only through a dealer and the dealer can set the prices.. that said if it is the media that needs replacing some owners have been known to replace the resin on their own...just saying on that.
Media tanks often do not go bad but can.
Just How Hard is the water? is there a test ???

Thanks! We only are looking at switching due to rebate and wasn't sure if there are better options but probably not. City doesn't allow salt systems I guess anymore either.

Talked to Kinetico rep today, she's coming by next week to do a water test. It's the k60 and a full rebuild would be $1850 she stated, 3 year warranty and should last 15-20 years. We do have hard water, city says it's better but it's well water. We only notice if salt gets low, which is rare. Wfats the proper level of salt to keep in it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Must be Calif... and just what are they planing on doing about the damage of the hard water?
Also what is the city paying for you to use?
Look up the water quality association and you should be able to find out if there is some thing other than a softener to remove the hardness.
Potassium Chloride is a salt sub, would that work? spendy but it is not sodium chloride.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Must be Calif... and just what are they planing on doing about the damage of the hard water?
Also what is the city paying for you to use?
Look up the water quality association and you should be able to find out if there is some thing other than a softener to remove the hardness.
Potassium Chloride is a salt sub, would that work? spendy but it is not sodium chloride.

They will give a rebate to get rid of your salt based system. They are worried about their treatment plant. Doesn't even seem worth while to switch....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement