Water Not Reaching The Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Water not reaching the toilet

Hi everyone!

I'm not really an expert in plumbing but I do have some knowledge about it.

The problem: Water not reaching the toilet

What I've done so far:
Removed the small water supply
Removed the valve

After doing what I previously stated, I noticed there's no water coming out of the wall pipe. Could it be clogged? Doesn't really looks like it though. I can't reach far into the hole due to its narrowness.

What do you think is the next step?

Thank you for reading
Screwed_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,224

Re: Water not reaching the toilet

First thing you do is get a new valve on it so that if and when you do figure it out, you don't flood the place.

After that, start working your way back to the source. Is there water at the sink? What type of home?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,788

There may be another shut off valve on that line. Do you have a basement with access below that toilet?
Is this a new home?
Was the house unoccupied for some time where someone may have shut off the water to that point.

And yes as windows said, get a valve back on that pipe, I speak from experience.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

The house is about 15/20 years old and has always been occupied. It's a two floor house and the mentioned bathroom is located upstairs.
The water supply has stopped a month ago or so and only now I had the time to look into it.
Yes there's water at the sink and bathtub. It just stopped out of the blue.

Thank you both for replying!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

Usually the cold water line to the sink comes from the same line that feeds the toilet. When you check the sink be sure you are testing the cold water, actually both as I have seen toilets fed off of the hot water line, different subject.

In case it is necessary to access those pipes what room is on the other side of that wall.

Copper pipe I assume?

Bud
Old 08-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #6

Yes, all the cold water channels work.

On the other side of the wall there's a....neighbour hahah

And yes, from what I saw it seemed to be copper.
It doesn't show any signs of galvanization, at least at the exit where the valve was located.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

You chose your screen name well .
Being a condo and since the wall in question is shared is it possible the condo association should be handling this problem. I'm not well versed as to where the line of responsibility lies but it might be worth asking.

Also, condos often have maintenance personnel who might know where those pipes run as well as who should be chasing this down. Obviously you are willing to do the repair but does the association want you to?

From my experience it would be very rare for a young copper pipe to simply stop flowing. You said the water stopped a month or so ago, was there any other construction going on at that time, like in the basement or other side of that wall?

Bud
Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

It's not a condo. It's just a geminated house.
I just solved it! In my country it seems to be a practice to supply the reservoir for the toillet from an attic major reservoir. So basically the attic reservoir was empty because someone decided to close the tap. I decided to fill it up and it still wasn't working. There was some air in the water admission pipe inside the toillet reservoir which i had to remove and allow some water to flow before setting the whole thing in place.

Strangely it isn't filling up as fast as it was and its making no noise. Although I think it makes sense since the attic is only 3/3.5m above the toilet reservoir. 3 meters of pressure isn't much. I wonder why it made noise and filled faster before considering that the pressure shouldve been the same before.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Add your location so dummies like me won't give US advice for other countries, thanks.

Sounds like you still have air in the pipe, that could cause the noise and slow the flow.

Good job,
Bud
Old 08-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #10

Portugal, sorry. My mistake hahah

No, no noise at all. Usually all toillet reservoirs make a little noise when filling up due to the narrowness of the pipe. However it's not making any now and filling up slower.
This definitely means lower pressure, but it's just weird knowing that the water source is the same as before.

Thank you for your help and replies! :D
Old 08-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Dumb comment but I assume that tank has an air inlet to prevent a vacuum from holding the water back.

Portugal, neat! Too many Americans are used to everything being "American" and any exposure to the rest of the world is good. Years back I spent a few months exchanging emails from someone in Sri Lanka, very interesting. English was perhaps my poorest subject but I was helping him smooth out his web page to fit in better. G. Everett McCutcheon would roll over in his grave if he knew I was tutoring someone in English, but that's another story.

Best,
Bud
SeniorSitizen and Nealtw like this.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,214

Bud; I have felt the same way when working with people from India. hey just passed me thru English to get rid of me.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

What do you mean by a air inlet?

This is the system we use, minus the water bottles that are used for water saving.

http://www2.uol.com.br/guiadolitoral...es-4010-f1.jpg

once the tank reaches a certain level, the air "balloon" is up and forces down a button at the centre of the blue lid. by forcing it down, a rubber will shut down the water flow.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,694

That is the same toilet tank and mechanism we use.

Here we call that fill valve a ballcock. There are better valves. The best is made by FluidMaster. Shown below. Bet you have FluidMaster there also. Water level is easily adjustable with FluidMaster, no need for water bottles.

Put the end of the little white tube into the hole in the top of the overflow pipe. The water that comes out the little white tube is the water that fills up the toilet bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Water not reaching the toilet-garrafa-pet-em-vaso-sanitario-ajuda-economizar-ate-12-mil-litros-de-agua-por-mes-4010-f1.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 08-08-2017 at 08:28 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #15

It is "the attic reservoir" that I was thinking might be restricted by no air inlet. Not sure how that tank functions. But the toilet itself is the same as we use.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clogged , plumbing , water supply