Water Meter Shows Leakage - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 438

Water Meter shows leakage

Hello,

I recently noticed that my water meter (new) is showing slight water usage. After shutting down all water sources, I noticed that I am using about 6 gallons a day. The red leak detector doesn't spin constantly but tethers back and forth. I am able to measure water usage after observing for at least 3-4 hours based on the movement of the large needle.

I have performed leak test on all toilets and have no irrigation system. There are no visible signs of water leak inside and outside other than constant stream of water in my sump pump which I have confirmed with the city is not city water (flouride content etc.)

My water meter is located in the basement with the city main located about 50 ft outside.

Thoughts on what could be causing such a slight usage? I do have gas water heater with expansion tank and water circulation on timer.

Many thanks!

Last edited by sbkim; 08-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

Re: Water Meter shows leakage

Are you sure it is not a toilet? How did you test them? Dye in tank is the best.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,256

Leak at the boiler? Boiler and the radiators may have air trap things (looks like a barrel) that can leak, although probably not 6 gl a day. I have a auto water feeder or a pressure reducer for 2 boilers that has some sort of suto clean valve with its own hose going into bucket. Maybe that can leak? Checked and verified every inch of piping?
This is for the pros but hot water pressure too great and hot water back feeding into cold water line and tricking the meter into registering water movement?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

I have no boiler.

Initially I thought may be water supply lines to my basement bathroom could be leaking and thus water in my sump pit. However, I believe the supply lines are running above the basement floor.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,746

Quote:
After shutting down all water sources
Not sure what this means but I would close all shut off valves in the house if you have not already.

Where do your water lines run - are they visible within the house or are they run through a slab for any distance?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Are you sure it is not a toilet? How did you test them? Dye in tank is the best.
Yep, did the dye test and none of them are leaking.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Not sure what this means but I would close all shut off valves in the house if you have not already.

Where do your water lines run - are they visible within the house or are they run through a slab for any distance?
Sorry for not being clear but I mean I turned off water. I have not closed all shut off valves. I seem to have 2 of them near the meter - one closest to the wall (entering from the street) and another after the meter. I presume if I shut the water off, technically the meter should not run at all unless faulty.

Water line comes from the street into basement:

street ----> basement (water meter) ----> throughout the house
Old 08-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

There aren't shut off valves under the kitchen sink and the toilets and such? Those were the ones I meant, just assumed you had more than the main valves.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

Good point. I guess I can go around and close all valves in the kitchen and bathroom and then re check...

Is there any benefit to turning off the valve at water meter just to confirm that the meter is not faulty?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

At this point I would be considering every option you can think of to try.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #11

I was pleasantly surprised that city was willing and able to come into help locate the leak but I'd like to rule out the obvious. thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,684

In my opinion the best way to check for a leaking toilet is to hold down the float mechanism until water flows out the over flow pipe, then turn off the stop valve under the tank.

Come back some time later. From 15 minutes to hours later. If the water level is not still at the top of the over flow pipe you have a leak. If the water level is still at the top of the over flow pipe you don't have a leak. Extremely accurate and gives you some idea of how bad the leak is. No looking for dye or food coloring and no question of is the water in the bowl a different color or not.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
In my opinion the best way to check for a leaking toilet is to hold down the float mechanism until water flows out the over flow pipe, then turn off the stop valve under the tank.

Come back some time later. From 15 minutes to hours later. If the water level is not still at the top of the over flow pipe you have a leak. If the water level is still at the top of the over flow pipe you don't have a leak. Extremely accurate and gives you some idea of how bad the leak is. No looking for dye or food coloring and no question of is the water in the bowl a different color or not.
Unless the stop valve is leaking. And it is common with old valves.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,684

Nope, even if stop valve leaks the fill valve won't fill tank back up to the level of overflow pipe. For that matter you really don't have to turn off stop valve. Just makes you feel better to do so. Just hold fill valve down until water flows out the overflow. Come back later. If water level is not at top of overflow you have a leak.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement