Water Line To Icemaker On Fridge Leaking From Connection - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BayouRunner
  • 1 Post By Ghostmaker

Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection

Well never thought I'd be part of a forum like this one, but here I am, my wife and I just bought our first house. These forums are great, and I'm glad I found it! Seems like there is a lot of helpful people and lots of helpful information!

Anyway, the house came with a fridge that has a icemaker. No leaks when we moved in, last week we unplugged it including the water line which has the same end as a washer hookup, to try to get in the fridge that we brought with . Better that this one. No fitment because it's massive so that was a no go. So we put this one back, screw on the water line same way I took it off, nothing to it. This morning my wife calls and says there is water leaking from the connection somewhere. Can't figure out why. The rubber seal is intact on the female end , but she said it's leaking from where the orange meets the copper, where that gray ring that clicks in , which I have no clue what that gray ring does. Could that be the problem? Thanks for any help!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection-image_1473714722736.jpg   water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection-image_1473714750848.jpeg   water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection-image_1473714853723.jpeg  
Mkr88x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,190

Re: water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection

Did you seat the line before tightening it up?

Turn off the water, loosen the fitting, push the line in all the way, finger tighten the fitting, then just turn the fitting 1/4 turn more, no more as this will damage the line. Then the gray ring should snap over the black at the fitting.

You might have over tightened the fitting and damaged the line, take is off and examine it for any groove or chafe.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 564

Hmm I've seen air lines like that but never water lines. Correct me if I'm wrong please
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,784

So how did you disconnect this line?
It's a press fit type fitting.
That brass ring needed to be pushed back and the tubing slides right out.
There was no need to unthread anything.
They make a special tool to remove the tubing but a pair of plyers will work to push on the ring as long as you do not compress the tubing.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10,416

I think BayouRunner and Joe are both right. That looks like a quick connect fitting -- common on air hose, but not on refrigerator hook ups. Maybe the guy worked someplace where they used that stuff.

You need to push on the grey ring while pulling the hose out. To install the hose you just push in it. I think I can see marks on the hose where you did not push it on as far as it used to be. But you may have damaged the hose or the fitting if you yanked out the hose without pushing the grey ring in first. I would first just firmly push the hose in as far as it will go. If that does not do it, push in the grey ring while pulling out the hose, cut off an inch from the end of the hose, and push it back in. If that does not work, you must have damaged the fitting yanking the hose out -- you can replace it with another quick connect if you can find one, or possibly a common compression fitting may work (not positive that hose is spec hardness for a compression fitting)
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

I didn't mess with the actual line at all. All I did was unscrew it from the fridge( the big fitting) the one that looks like a washer fitting.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,856

Apparently while twisting on it you damaged the orange pipe. Pull it out using the grey ring as discussed and cut the damage off and reinsert it.
de-nagorg likes this.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10,416

You have two close up photos of the hose connection. Where is the leak ?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 94

You could also replace it with a steel braided line.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Yea I just purchased one so I can replace the whole thing but the fitting at the end by the floor won't match up. It's a female end( copper) and so is the braided line I bought. I'm guessing I might have to get multiple fittings in order to hook it up. Really don't feel like unhooking anything from the water tank in the basement where the turn off is.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #11

Here's the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
water line to icemaker on fridge leaking from connection-image_1473940910304.jpg  
Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 604

Go to your local plumbing supply store, not the big box store. Take you photos and your current leaking fitting. They will give you the fittings you need.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 38

Replace the whole brass jerry rigged contraption that was there with a water supply connection fitting for a Whirlpool/Maytag/KitchenAid dishwasher. Your new braided hose will attach nicely and the other end is a 3/4" hose connection like the old refrigerator.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement