Water Leak Out Of The Side Of A Delta Kitchen Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Water leak out of the side of a Delta kitchen faucet

Hi,

Strange thing happened. Was running the dishwasher and the cycle completed. Left the apartment and came back and there was a small flood on the top of the countertop which had run off the countertop and onto the floor. Cleaned up the water and looked for the source of the leak. Found the leak in the side of the faucet. Turned on the faucet and the leak stopped.

Looked under the sink and there was no water coming out of the pipes down there. I turned the dishwasher on again and all of the sudden the water started coming out of the side of the faucet and I took a picture. Had an appliance guy and a plumber come out and they found no problem. Landlord is now claiming months later that the problem is that the garbage disposal was not cleared of debris properly. It seems to me that the garbage disposal draining and the water coming into the faucet are entirely independent of each other. Is that correct? Any ideas on what the problem could have been? Haven't been able to repeat the problem since.

Picture here:
zkorwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/zkorwin/IMG_20141005_202004_457_zpsad461a58.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkorwin View Post
Hi,

Strange thing happened. Was running the dishwasher and the cycle completed. Left the apartment and came back and there was a small flood on the top of the countertop which had run off the countertop and onto the floor. Cleaned up the water and looked for the source of the leak. Found the leak in the side of the faucet. Turned on the faucet and the leak stopped.

Looked under the sink and there was no water coming out of the pipes down there. I turned the dishwasher on again and all of the sudden the water started coming out of the side of the faucet and I took a picture. Had an appliance guy and a plumber come out and they found no problem. Landlord is now claiming months later that the problem is that the garbage disposal was not cleared of debris properly. It seems to me that the garbage disposal draining and the water coming into the faucet are entirely independent of each other. Is that correct? Any ideas on what the problem could have been? Haven't been able to repeat the problem since.

Picture here:
no picture...disposal has nothing to do with water comming out of faucet assy..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #4

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...psad461a58.jpg
Old 12-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Sorry wouldn't let me post link until I had a post.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
looks like the o ring seal around the faucet is going bad and some back pressure is causing it to leak....I see that all to often....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-28-2014), zkorwin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Is there any possibility at all it is caused by a backed up garbage disposal? They're not even connected right?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Is there any possibility at all it is caused by a backed up garbage disposal? They're not even connected right?
you are right disposal has nothing to do with faucet...
Old 12-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

one last question: let's say the garbage disposal was blocked and the dishwasher was trying to drain, if the water in the dishwasher had no where to go is there any possibility it could have worked its way back up the hot water line and back up all the way to the faucet? That also seems very unlikely. Landlord is trying to make us pay claiming negligence for clogging the garbage disposal (which wasn't clogged).
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,652

Again the Garbage disposal has nothing to do with this problem. There is a plastic piece with a gasket that goes between the cap and ball for the faucet handle. Then there are two cups with springs that sit below the ball.

Usual problem is that the cap is too loose, or the gasket and/or plastic piece is worn or torn up.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
zkorwin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

Yes, I agree. I know I sound like an idiot asking an re-asking but I'm trying to explain this to him. Now he says the clogged disposal forced the water up the air gap. Our dishwasher has no air gap above the sink.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I know I sound like an idiot asking an re-asking but I'm trying to explain this to him. Now he says the clogged disposal forced the water up the air gap. Our dishwasher has no air gap above the sink.
Gray water does not come out of Potable water faucets. It would come out of the drain into the sink, if there was a back up.

The parts are actually pretty cheap. Ace Hardware carries them in the plumbing section. You just need an Allen Wrench and a pair of Lock jaw pliers to remove the cap that holds the ball in place.

Takes about five min's to swap out the old parts for the new.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Plumber & Gasfitter

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
That is absolutely absurd. It is just as likely that a neighbors plugged toilet caused your faucet to leak.
joeplumber85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeplumber85 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
the cloged disposal has nothing to due with the water pressure at the kitchen sink ...if disposal is clogged it will not allow the diswasher to drain if the dishwasher is connected to disposal....landlord is fishing and not catching any..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement