Water Heater Pilot Light - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,238

Water Heater Pilot Light

Hello to All,

We have two linked water heaters in the attic that were installed late 2004 or early 2005. They are both electronic ignition for lighting pilot light.

About a yr+ ago, heard a lot of banging up there, so I drained both of them, but some of the Ca deposits were so big, they could not be drained.

On Thur-Fri, wife told me the water was not as hot...then Sat it was not getting that hot at all. Found out the primary water heater was not lit...the secondary one did work, but it dumps into the primary, then the primary feeds the house.

I was able to light the primary one's pilot light, and we are back to normal heat wise, but it sounds like there are boxing matches going on in the attic. Question, what could have cause the pilot light to just extinguish itself? Could the thermo-coupler be going bad? if so, would that turn it off? All of the other water heaters I have had were non-elec-ignition based and you could see a lot more bc you did not have to look thru the sm glass panel. I'm I looking at a replacement

If you have any questions, pls let me know?

Thank you very much,
tstex
tstex is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,208

Re: Water Heater Pilot Light

Could be thermo couple. I agree with you on the wh replacement.

Thermo couples are available at any bigbox for lees than 10 dollars. May be all you need. Take old one with you. Some wh you have to purchase the whole burner assy.

As for the sediment build up and boxing match upstairs; you can try to take drain valve out and see if you can get those big pieces of sediment out.

I wouldnt invest too much into them.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

Thanks Jmon. W the all enclosed glass panel models, are these more likely to require then entire burner assembly vs just a thermo coupler replacement?

Next, when I was trying to drain them last yr, I tried removing the std drain bib that your house screws onto, but that baby seemed like it was arc-welded into the unit and I felt if it broke to damaged the unit, I was screwed. Also, since I had to obviously drain all the water first, the unit tired moving as well when I applied some torque...

Finally, both units are tied-in and together w copper piping and no flex lines. will I have to size-up the exact same make/model/size when replacing these units?

Thanks again, tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Please post the model number and make of current wh's so we can pull up a diagram and find out what you need. Thanks.

In regards to replacement; What size are the current ones? Is there a need for two smaller 40's or will one larger 50/75 gallon be enough?

Please post some pics of your setup so we can better understand what you have. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Jmon, when I get back to the stead later this evening, I will go into attic and get all the information.

When I was up there yesterday early am lighting pilot light, I did look for a make/model info and not even a decal or logo was present...I'll take pics w ph and then research and post back.

Re sizing, w 3 girls, dishwasher, 3.5 bathrooms, washer, etc, I think only one WH would be like a 1 ton truck trying to make it on a 4 cylinders... LOL

I'll be back soon - thanks, tstex
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-20-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Hey guys,

Been buried. I will get the name of the water heater in the morning and post it - sorry for the delay - tstex
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

Ok, here's the info:

State Select 50gal
Mod# GS650YBRS
Ser# B05A026133
BUILD DATE: 2/4/2005

Hope this helps...Thanks, tstex
Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

PS - If making an investment on these 2/4/05 water heaters is not wise, what make and model would you recommend? they are both gas

Also, both WH's are side-by-side w copper-piping connecting them [no flex pipe at all]. So am I going to have to go w another water heater of the same dimensions, if that is the way to go? thanks, tstex
Old 06-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Ok, here's the info:

State Select 50gal
Mod# GS650YBRS
Ser# B05A026133
BUILD DATE: 2/4/2005

Hope this helps...Thanks, tstex
If the pilot keeps going out it could be the thermocouple, dirty combustion filter, or a venting issue.

You could disassemble it and clean thermocouple and entire burner compartment. May help keep it going for awhile.

If you try a new thermo couple, the typical 9 dollar over the counter thermocouple you get at the big box store is not going to work for that model. It has a resister attached to it. You need to order the correct part from the manufacture.

Click on link below; The fourth item down, pilot assy., which connects to your burner assy., is what you need if you want to replace thermocouple. You may have to retype your serial number in box then click look-up.

http://www.waterheaterparts.com/Lookup

Last edited by jmon; 06-22-2016 at 10:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
bob22 (06-23-2016), tstex (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
PS - If making an investment on these 2/4/05 water heaters is not wise, what make and model would you recommend? they are both gas

Also, both WH's are side-by-side w copper-piping connecting them [no flex pipe at all]. So am I going to have to go w another water heater of the same dimensions, if that is the way to go? thanks, tstex
Yes, I agree. Take measurements and make sure new ones will fit so you don't have to do a lot of replumbing.

The newer ones are more insulated now so once you go over the 50 gallon mark there are new changes/guidelines to water heaters.

http://www.washingtonenergy.com/arti...rs-will-affect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement