Water Heater With Exhaust Fan Attachment, No Flames! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!

Hi,

I have come across a water heater that has an exhaust fan attachment for the vent through the side of the house. When the utility company came over to put in a new gas meter and try to light it, all they could get is the pilot to come on. I have never seen anything like this before, but it seems pretty simple (or so I would think). I think it should be something like this:

Exhaust fan turn on ->
A pressure switch activates to make sure the flue gas is exiting the system correctly ->
A safety switch is turned on (maybe?) ->
Gas valve controller turns over to allow natural gas to flow through to burner ->
Hot water

However, the water heater is still stuck at the Exhast fan turns on (step 1) and never allows gas to flow through to the burner. Maybe I need some replacement parts for the part with the side control knob and/or the natural gas control valve.. I can get the pilot to light and stay on without a problem, so there is no problem with the thermocouple or the pilot tube at all.

A couple things -
- I do feel air coming out of the crevices of the pvc pipe, so that's working
- I managed to break the threaded knob type thing with the gear socket coming out of the left, not sure if that's very important or not, but I thought it was an adjusting knob, so I tried to twist it but it broke in the middle kinda

I have attached some pics. I do not know the brand or year of the water heater since it is totally wrapped in insulation. I do know that water flows through it properly (cold at least) and that there are no leaks so far. Thanks a lot for your help. I have lit a lot of water heaters before, just not this kind unfortunately, but I would think it SHOULD be auto-lighting from this point on (the pilot does require an actual lighting flame instead of electric/push button ignition).

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!-1.jpg   Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!-2.jpg   Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!-3.jpg   Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!-4.jpg  
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,632

Re: Water heater with exhaust fan attachment, no flames!

Why not take off the insulation and see make/model of heater, then you can google for lighting instructions. I doubt that insulation is providing any significant savings since it likely is foam lined tank.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
SHR Plumber (06-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Why not take off the insulation and see make/model of heater, then you can google for lighting instructions. I doubt that insulation is providing any significant savings since it likely is foam lined tank.
Will do and get back with you.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 777

To me that looks like a after market exhaust blower. The lower half of your water heater looks like a regular direct vent. I have never seen a power vent that wasn't sealed like yours is.When did you get that furnace installed.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement