Water Heater Drain Pan? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 358

Water Heater Drain Pan?

How do you correctly plumb a water heater drain pan for an electric water heater? I replaced my water heater about 4 years ago and I did not do a pan or anything and I want to finally address that. Can it just dump the drain into the crawl space or does it actually need to dump outside? I am sure I am not allowed to just dump into the c.s. but thought I should ask. I have a utility room with a tile floor and my water heater is just sitting on the tile floor. So I can not easily drill a hole in the floor to run a pipe down into the crawlspace.

That being said I would need to pipe over to the wall and remove a portion of the drywall so I could notch the bottom plate of the wall before dropping down into the c.s.

Or I could put my water heater on a small stand and then I wouldnt have to notch the bottom plate. When is a small stand allowed or not allowed?

Also I have a couple other water heater questions. Should I buy into things like an insulation pad to go under the tank, or a insulation wrap to go around the tank? Or would both of these be useless with a water heater inside a heated space?

Thanks in advance!
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

I believe in your area the pan cannot drain to the crawl space. It must go to a floor drain, hub drain or other approved receptacle such as a mop sink.
You can also run it to the garage floor or through the floor and out the rim joist.
Same rules apply for the T&P relief pipe. It cannot drain to the pan.

Stands are OK but you may need seismic straps then since your in the Pac. N.W.

Given the age of your heater I wouldn't mess with insulation except to raise your pan a couple inches higher than your sole plate
Advertisement