Water Heater DOA? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
ARB

Rewards Points: 111

Water Heater DOA?

Hey guys,

I noticed some water (more like dampness) beside my 20 year old electric water heater. The water appeared to be coming from the bottom access panel, and when I removed the panel, a pool of water was visible between the tank and the outer part of the unit, up to (of course) the bottom of the access panel. Is there any chance that the whole thing doesn't need to replaced? The only other thing I can think of (which seems unlikely) is that it's leaking from the lower element...

I guess my question is this: should I just go ahead and have the whole thing replaced, or is there anything else I should look into first?

Thanks!
ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,234

Unfortunately, i agree with you. Once they start leaking from the tank it's time for a new one. Yes, have it replaced.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
ARB (12-29-2015), oh'mike (12-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 127

It's 20 years old and already has served a longer life than 99.9 percent of the water heaters out there. I concur, once these start leaking, it's time for a new one. Even if you fixed on leak, another will quickly pop up and you really don't want 40 gallons or whatever of water in your basement etc.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
ARB

Thanks guys... And yes, no complaints about a heater that lasts 20 years!

Hey, since we're chatting: I've been looking into new water heaters for a good chunk of the afternoon and just placed an order for a Kenmore (which seems to be a variant of the AO Smith PXNT-50). The unit has a 12-year warranty for parts and replacement, and they offered me a 12-year warranty that'll cover the labor, at a cost of $240. I turned it down, thinking that my current unit has needed very little service, and whatever service it did need I did myself. Do you guys think this was a reasonable choice, or would you have paid the extra $240 for the labor warranty?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 114

You'll only find out in time if it was worth it but the odds are stacked in your favor that you won't. I wouldn't buy it. It's rare that I replace a heater or even work on one that's less then 12 years old.
2x_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 572

Extra warranty is a waste of money.

You'll get screwed out of it one way or another....
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,234

I agree. It's a money maker for them.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,292

One of the arguments against paying for additional warranty coverage is that in many states the implied warranty already covers the first 4 years and in some cases even longer. I'm in Maine and we have a very aggressive approach to implied warranties. Since this can vary from state to state i searched CT.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law

"Generally, there is no specified duration for implied warranties under state laws. However, the state statutes of limitations for breach of either an express or an implied warranty are generally four years from date of purchase."

That wording is similar to what Maine uses and the origin cited in that link is identical. A water heater is a great example of something that is hard to abuse, it just sits there. Therefore, if it splits in half in 3 years, someone should come out and replace it. At the least, provide you with a new heater.

It is worth becoming familiar with the implied warranties as they are stated on every product. "This warranty gives you certain rights and you may have other rights that vary from state to state. " I have saved a LOT of money by getting products repaired or replaced that failed well before they should have.

But I do not know how CT views implied warranties.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
ARB

Thanks once again... I generally avoid extended warranties on all types of products for these very reasons, but it's nice to have this re-assurance from the pros...

Thanks also, Bud, for the info on implied warranties... Very interesting and I'll definitely check further into it!

Best wishes, all, for the new year!

Allen
The Following User Says Thank You to ARB For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement